Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1 have got a 1991 1500se with 13000 miles on the clock with full Honda service history but i am going to change the timing belts myself i have worked on a lotof 2 strokes so am mechanically confident is it a long job and how do i get the correct belt tension

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

yes inow the miles are low it has just taken me 4 tanksof fuel and a clean set of plugs to get it to run smoothly the bike is being ridden through France and Spain in the summer hence changing the belts.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

you are as well change them its not the mileage its the fact they have been on the bike for the last 18years and can perrish from just lieing around

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I have got my own bike lift so i do not have to grovel around on all fours to work i intend to carry out the work over the easter weekend is it a long job

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Look at the thread on timing belt age in general discussion. I posted a picture of a timing belt off my 91 Interstate that had just over 43,000 miles but 17 years of age!
One belt had a small crack.
Change them out...it's not a difficult job.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

The longest part of the job is taking everything off. just did mine to day .all so before you put the timing cover back on you may want to start it let it run a little bit then recheck your tension I put mine all back to gather and was not sounding right took the cover back off the belt was a little loose that's why i say to start with the cover off it will save you some time .there is a member on here that has step by step info on replacing the belts is name Rudy do a search on timimg belts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I've done it and it's not hard but you need to pay close attention to what you do in the timing aspect or you could risk un-needless damage to your engine.

Good luck to you.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I only had 12K on my 91I. After reading what kind of damage can be done with a broken belt, I decided I needed to change it ASAP. Rudy's is the one I used, followed exactly step by step and it was fairly simple, though time consuming as it was the first time I'd had most of the plastics off. I figure next time, I'll cut it down to about 4-6 hours total. Changed the oil and coolant at the same time. Here is his tutorial: http://goldwingtech.info/

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

My 1986 1200GL had only 20,000 miles on it when i did the belts. Even though the old bets were perfect i'm glad i changed them.I just wish i did the water pump at the same time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.