Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I just got the covers off of the timing belts, and the tensioners will not move at all. I mean the wheel spins, but the assembly will not pivot. Isnt the spring supposed to be the only thing that keeps tension on the belts? It looks like whoever was in there last tightened the bolts so the tensioners wont move at all, or they got frozen somehow. They are pressed up hard against the belts. Shouldnt I be able to move the assembly with my hand? Maybe thats why I seem to have the squeal coming from the tensioners. :?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

You have to loosen the bolts to move the tensioners. the spring is just to set the tension before you lock the tensioners down.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

It is possible that the belts are too tight... but my experience is that tight belts will eventually develop the clearance they need by wearing in (but this is not the proper way)..

The tensioners will still be very difficult to slip on the belt even when properly tensioned; you should be able to slip it with some effort when cold but as the bike heats and expands, they get tighter and very difficult to slip..

And note that the belt tension is not dynamically held by the spring. The spring is there only to set the initial tension, then the bolts are tightened to fix them in location... the spring does nothing after the bolts are tightened.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I readjusted the tensioners by loosening them and retightening. The squealing has dissapeared. I am still going to change the belts though. Saved me $120!:cool:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

There are many posts and manuals on this site with the proper procedures for doing this . I would check them before you even start the engine again. could be an expensive mistake

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Did you spin the tensioners before tightening the belts. I think if the belt was too tight the bearings were overloaded and your squealing is going to come back or even worse a tensioner will seize up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.