Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm part way through my winter maintenance on my newer to me 93 GL1500SE.

Bike has 10,000 original miles and according to the PO the timing belts were never done.

Following you great DIY instructions I'm halfway through the procedure. The right side tensioner is noisy when spun. I ordered two to replace them both just in case. They should be here in a couple of days.

Your DIY does not cover the tensioner replacement. It looks to be remove the two bolts, disconnect the spring and put the new one in.

Anything special I need to know? Loctite on the bolts? Torque settings?

I'm glad I read through the forums, this could have ended with a destroyed motor.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,618 Posts
I'm part way through my winter maintenance on my newer to me 93 GL1500SE.

Bike has 10,000 original miles and according to the PO the timing belts were never done.

Following you great DIY instructions I'm halfway through the procedure. The right side tensioner is noisy when spun. I ordered two to replace them both just in case. They should be here in a couple of days.

Your DIY does not cover the tensioner replacement. It looks to be remove the two bolts, disconnect the spring and put the new one in.

Anything special I need to know? Loctite on the bolts? Torque settings?

I'm glad I read through the forums, this could have ended with a destroyed motor.

Thanks in advance.
Just that simple. The torque spec is in the manual. Do you have one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, that exactly what I was looking for.

And Dennis, I bought it with 8800 miles on it towards the end of last summer. I should have done the belts when I bought it, but I'm thinking with so low miles they should be fine. Until I started reading this forum lol. I'm glad I did check into it because that one tensioner was really noisy. I can't imagine it would have held up through next riding season.

I'm the third owner, To my understanding, the original owners health declined and it sat for many years. When he passed away, and his widow sold it to a local Honda dealer. The gentleman I bought it from had purchased it from the dealer in 2015 while his GL1800 was in for a motor issue that the parts were back ordered for months. He didn't want to miss out on the riding season. He told me he bought it with 4000 miles. He got his 1800 back early last summer, and put this one up for sale. It's quite the museum piece, cassette player and all!. I was thrilled to be able to purchase it. The wife and I really enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Not many miles for the tensioner to go bad. Glad you caught it. Lube dried out from lack of use it seems. My old 88 had over 100k on it before the tensionsers starting giving off brown crap and getting rough and loose.
Enjoy the ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.