Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Any tips on fitting the timing belts or is it as easy as it looks?

Radiator off. covers off set timing marks change belts. Hey Presto.

Done.

Thanks

Inteleman

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

Thats how easy it is. I don't take the radiator off so the cover bolts are trying . The only thing not to wory about is the marks might each look about half a tooth off. Good luck . Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at it with the Rad on, there is not much room

so we will see!!

I willupdate as it progresses.

Thanks

Inteleman

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

I find the longer way of removing the rad is really the shorter way really, also less skinned knuckles.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am tempted to try and do it with the Rad on. However this is onlybecause at the moment I do not know which Anti-freeze to use!

Can anyone advise which to use.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Inteleman wrote:
I am tempted to try and do it with the Rad on. However this is onlybecause at the moment I do not know which Anti-freeze to use!

Can anyone advise which to use.
You can get the stuff from a Honda auto dealer. Otherwise any non-silicate brand will do. In the US Prestone Extended Life is non-silicate. I prefer to remove the radiator, it's not that much more work and it offers a chance to inspect more of the bike. Don't forget to hand turn the crankshaft at least 2 to 3 turns before starting to make REAL sure the valves and pistons don't get too intimate.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi

I have losened the Rad off in fact to give a little more room I have taken off the bottom hose. The covers are now off and the belt looks as though it has been on a long time!

The timing marks are set. I get the new belts on Saturday + Antifreeze .

The only snag I see is filling the radiator ,I can't get to the cap on the top of the Rad.

I feel I am going to have to remove theTank covers to get to the Rad cap so I can re-fill the Rad

Inteleman

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

My local auto shop (like your Pep boys, I guess.. ). carries a funnel which has a 9 inch long neck... and two right  angled bends in the neck I originally got it for oil. on a SilverWing .. but  it was not necessary on the Gold Wing  /forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif...  It is absolutely great for antifreeze../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif......'specially as you should fill   ,and top up the rad several times , as you heat the engine up to be sure you have ALL the air  bubbles out... SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Inteleman,

I had to remove the faux tank on my 83 to get to the radiator cap. It's not hard.

Take the seat off.

Remove the two bolts at the rear of the faux tank.

Remove the side covers (3 screws) just below the fairing and behind the radiator.

Look inside, nearthe front bottom of the faux tank. You should see a bolt (1) on each side. Remove them and carefully lift the faux tank off. Make sure you don't have any wires snagged on anything while removing the cover.

While you have the cover off check the reserve tank hose that goes to the radiator. Make sure it isn't dried out, kinked, cracked, plugged or has bad clamps on it. Replace if necessary.

Reverse for installation.

It would also be a good time to look at all the wiring connections for dirt and corrosion.

Bob:11grey:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the Replies.

I have the Belts and Anti-freeze so on with the job!!!

Rich

(Inteleman)

Well I Removed the Radiatorand have now fitted the Timing Belts .She is running again, But first I turned the engine by hand and re checked the Timing marks.

Just started up for a few seconds with the rad off. now to fill the Rad bleed it and put all the bits back on.I will check the connectors and give it a good clean whilst it is stripped down.

Thanks for all your Advice and tips.

Rich

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

was going to suggest turning engine over by hand first before trying to start Just in case anything got botched

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi and Yes it is a good idea to turn the engine over by hand first. When I took the

R/H side belt off the cam gear spun round a little as the valve springs must have been compressed a little. I took time to re-set the timing marks ,in fact the right side kept wanting to spring and I had to hold the cam gear wheel with a spanner onto the timing mark as I slipped the belt on. It looked to be Half a tooth out but all is well and running.

Thanks

Rich

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

I did this job this spring and what stumped me was - getting the tension right. Finally figured it out - use a scale for weighing fish! Sounds crazy but it assures you get it right. If memory serves 7 pounds is about right. Too loose or too tight makes for unusual noises.

Good Luck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
I did this job this spring and what stumped me was - getting the tension right. Finally figured it out - use a scale for weighing fish! Sounds crazy but it assures you get it right. If memory serves 7 pounds is about right. Too loose or too tight makes for unusual noises.

Good Luck
The memory is off a bit, the book calles for 4.4lbs (2 kilos) for 1/4" deflection at the center of the pulling side. I found this a wee bit too tight for my 1200, it made a bit of a whistle so I slacked it off just a bit and all was well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.