Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought my 83 Aspencade in March of this year. I was so pleased that I found a good machine with only 37k miles onit. I've secretly worried ever since, about the timing belt. I know it doesn't have enough miles yet to change the timing belt, but how do the years affect the belt? Is 21 years too long to trust a belt? I have nearly 43k on it now.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I don't know if they rot or not. Here in Arizona I think I would replace them because of the heat. The sun here eats everything up! If the bike was kept in a garage they might be ok. You could always pull the cover and inspect them. You DON'T need to pull the radiator to remove the covers. Just loosen the bottom radiator mounting bolts. If the belts have any cracks or signs of oil on them replace them for sure.

Congrtas on finding an 83 with only 37K on it!:clapper: I bought my 83 about 15 months ago with 78K. Just over 90K on it now and running great :cool:

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Like AZ says...congrats....Any idea how long it sat without running? I would definitely say CHECK THOSE BELTS!!!!You don't want to take out the top end on something so low in miles.

How's the oil usage on it?

You will be so very lucky if all the rubberized components in it are good. Sure would hate to have to start cracking it open.

Are the pipes good?

Any chance it was stored in some kind of humidor? Now I'm getting carried away. Excellent find. I'm very excited for you. Get her cleaned up and send us a pic.

Kyle

Your truly are a victim of opportunity.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

How much is your life worth? When the belts break, the engine quits immediately, freezing up because the valves and pistons come in contact with each other. Like in locking up your rear wheel, slamming you to the pavement. Least worst case scenario, you wreck the engine, as the valves do not clear the pistons, zero interferance. Not good.:gunhead:

I bought a '83 Interstate this spring with 32K on it and the first thing I had done was replace the belts because of advice of an experienced Wing mechanic. The belts had 19K on them but 18 years and they were showing signs of deterioration.

Replace the belts for a little amount of money. Even if a mechanic does it for you, you won't be out a lot of cash.

Peace of mind.

Hobie

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Claire wrote:
I bought my 83 Aspencade in March of this year. I was so pleased that I found a good machine with only 37k miles onit. I've secretly worried ever since, about the timing belt. I know it doesn't have enough miles yet to change the timing belt, but how do the years affect the belt? Is 21 years too long to trust a belt? I have nearly 43k on it now.
Replace them asap and you won't need to worry. Every two years is what belt makers suggest regardless of low miles.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Just get them changed Claire. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind. You can get the Gates or other makes and save money on the Honda ones.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I seem to have missed this thread for some reason, probably thought I'd seen it already and didn't realize I'd missed it until I had a look now. My opinion is probably redundant now, but I may as well give it anyway.

I agree with the others, just replace the belts. Even if you never used the bike at all you should really replace the belts after 3 years, most makers suggest every 2 years regardless of mileage but 3 years is okay. Remember that more than a few cars using timing belts see them break the belts while under warranty (some Opels Astras and Daewoo's Matiz are two examples), so its worth doing the job if it han't been done to your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Bob, I got my '83 from AZ early last year as a matter of fact, and it only had around 31K on it. I did put in some NAPA belts right after I got it. Just turned over 40k.

Had some carb troubles, finally found a CI kit, and now I go riding at least every weekend. Gonna be going out in a few minutes...

Raymond

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Raymond,

Welcome to the forum:waving: Thats really low mileage from a place where you can ride year round! Sounds like you are making up for it fast though.

I live in Yuma. If you ever get out this way on one of your weekend rides, let me know. Maybe we could hook up!

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I am in Texas, but got family in Mesa. I still have nightmares of when I made a trip as a kid from El Paso to Anaheim (Disneyland, etc..) and passing through Yuma in the Summer. Something like 116 degrees that day. Yikes!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks everyone, for the great advice. I ordered them (the timing belts) today from JC Whitney. Thank you Kyle, especially. Your post made me laugh. I don't think the bike sat more than a week or two at a time. Then it would be taken out and rode around town. I don't think it saw the highway in ten years. That accounts for the low miles. The pipes are great. The carbs are perfect. The tappets make a bit of noise, but not too much. I was thinking I'd do an adjustment. I don't think it's ever been done. My friend, who owned the bike before, never adjusted anything. He said it uses no oil. When I changed the oil, it looked tired, but measured out to be full. I also ordered one of those dipsticks that doubles as a drain plug. NO LEAKS! Thats what I loved about that 75 I had, and what made me give up Harleys. I do need to rebuild the wheel cylinders and Master cylinders. The brakes are a bit mushy. Speaking of rubber, does anyone know where I can get replacement rubber for the luggage?

Right now, I've got the Clarion system half way out. There are wires everywhere, and I'm beginning to regret starting. I think I can put it all back and have what I started with. If I continue, I'm not so sure I can still get it all back in there. I've stepped away from the whole thing for several days now, and it's beginning to bug me that I can't go for a ride. I've gotta make a decision soon.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Claire,

I'll let you be the judge of the tappet noise, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. If she seems sealed and no leaks don't crack it open. The first thing that may go is the seal between the water pump that will lay down a little pool of oil through the pin hole. But sounds like its been run fairly regular so chances are you'll have little drying out and crumbling of the rubber seals and components.

I bought my 82 in 87 with 32k and I remeber my excitement. I looked at alot worse for twice the price and she still is my gem at over 400k, so you got some riding ahead of you!!!

Kyle

My hair is white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Do you know what you are getting with JC Whitney belts? Could be some garbage Taiwan belts, who knows. At least with NAPA belts, you know you are getting Gates brand belts, the same company that makes the Honda belts. There are some cheap garbage belts out there, beware.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Just checked, JC wants $45 PER belt? Yikes, the NAPA belts are more like $12-15 each. Ouch. May as well go with the dealer if you're gonna spend that kind of money.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd ride it awhile and let the tappets tap. After sitting a long time it's not too surprising there might be some noise. My bike is sounding a lot quieter now that I've put some miles on it (run a little MMO in the gas). Change the oil a couple times at short intervals too, that will help get some of the crud out.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I just called JC Whitney and asked them if it was $41.99 for the set, or each. He said it was for each. I promptly cancelled that order. I'll be looking for a local NAPA today. That's just plain ridiculous. Thanks again, for catching that boneheaded move.

About those tappets. I don't think it's serious or I would have done the job back in March, when I first got it. I was just trying to take good care of a good machine. So if I understand correctly, I should focus on the electrics and leave the machinery alone (except for the timing belts). No one adjusts noisy tappets? I got that old '75 with 40k miles on it, and I adjusted the valves on it, and it was stolen with nearly a hundred thousand on it, and I never in that time had to adjust them again. That bike was not much for handling, but it was the perfect freeway commuter. I'm amazed at how much better the '83 aspencade handles over that big ole banana (my yellow '75). So I thought I'd do as someone asked, and post a picture of the '83, but I've got to put all the wires and stuff back into the fairing first. It just looks like the standard issue wineberry aspencade. It has all the engine chrome and frame covers, and luggage racks on the bags and trunk. No extra draws on the battery. I might, and this is a big maybe, but I just might put a chrome grille on, along with the chrome dipstick. I hate those sight glasses for checking the oil. What a useless piece of crap. I never checked the oil on that '75, and never needed to. But I really like this bike. It would be good to keep up with the inner goings on. Ok, enough rambling for now. Thanks again for all the help. Now, go put yer knees in the breeze. :)

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hello Raymond,

I just noticed your post. Yes, you are within riding distance. I only went out your direction once on a bike, in all my years of riding. I rode out to Albuquerque for the October balloon festival. I left Los Angeles at midnight, and arrived in Albuquerque at 9 am. That was on a Kawasaki Concours. I recall topping a long grade at sunrise, somewhere in Arizona (on the I 40) and there were half a dozen cops in the median with a tripod set up and pointing right at me. I was doing roughly 130mph. I looked at them, and they looked at me, and it was a very quiet and still morning, except for me streaking across the desert at sunrise. I never let off, and never saw any sign of them even making a move to come after me. That was one of the verrry few times I got away with that.

My '83 had a cracked windscreen. It had been cut and a vent put in. The crack came up from the corner of the cutout. Apparantly it had been cracked for about a decade. My friend, who owned it then, was concerned about freeway speeds with a crack in the windscreen. So he just kept to surface streets, and kept the miles low. JC Whitney provided me with an acceptable replacement, and I've seen 95 mph frequently. I haven't tried more yet because of those pesky timing belts. Hey Raymond, do you ever use your choke? I've started up as low as 50 degrees out, and without a choke. It doesn't like to be choked for anything.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

You may only find one belt at a NAPA store. You can just ask them to order another one. It's not a common belt, so they may not stock multiples. There was only 1 in Austin when I got mine, the other had to come in from San Antonio. But I was in no hurry at all, the belts didn't go on for several months later anyway.

As for my choke, I have the CI single carb kit and I don't use the chok much. I sometimes do if the bike sits for a couple of weeks, and maybe if it's real cold. But usually I don't have to. I did put a heavy spring from the frame to choke assembly. Without it, the cable tends to bunch up at the lever and not disengage.

I have one of them wide and tall Slipstreamer windshields and this past Summer I put a couple of them 3" round air vents, like the old Vetters used to have. Been to Albaquerque only once, and it was for the balloon festival too. And I got into a real heavy snowstorm. That was close to 20 years ago.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

You nailed it. I went to NAPA yesterday, and they only had one. They ordered the other for me and it will be here tomorrow. At $24.95 each, I saved about half over JC Whitney. Any good leads on Master cylinder and wheel cylinder kits? Those mushy brakes are giving me butt puckers, what with all the crazies in cages doing their best to obtain a goldwing hood ornament.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

They are $14.99 on their website. What part of the country are you in? You must be paying some sort of premium price. Hmmm.

For all my brake parts, I used http://www.partsnmoreonline.com

More direct link: http://www.partsnmore.net/cat_index.php?model=gl1000-1100&category=chassis

Good guy to deal with, and seems to have the cheapest prices around on aftermarket kits.

And if you have an '83, you'll notice a world of difference of braking power with the stainless steel braided brake lines. http://www.paragonperformance.com/goldwing.html

Raymond

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.