Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

O K here goes,, I have a 84 aspencade and have replaced or working on replacing the timing belts. Got all the marks lined up ,checked three times ,but heres the rub....How exactly do you adjust the tension on the belts? I had the belt tensioners loose and apparently need to put more pressure on them as the belt on the side opposite the tensioner is loose. I have searched and either not found the answer or did't see it when it was in front of me ..not a uncommon occurance. On the bright side thou, the loose part of the belt has the correct amount of slack with no pressure at all on it

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings to the best board in the business!!

In answer to your question, try typing in "timing belts adjustment" in the search box and give that a go. There are several threads pertaining to your question.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

A roll od penneys should deflect it slightly, or using a long pencil (example), held at eraser end, should easily deflect belt slightly. It's hard to describe, but essentially, the spring of the tensioner is about right, plus a hair more. If too tight, the belts will make a warbly/whiring noise at around 1500-3000 rpm range. Too loose, and they will have a slappy sound, and will wear out quicker. When they're right, you shouldn't hear them at all. Run it through various rpm ranges, and watch and listen. Don't try to get rid of a slighta slight whipping ! They're going to do that, unless they're way too tight. Whatever you do, turn the eng. 2 full turns, BY HAND, to make sure they're not out of time. You sure don't want bent valves. Also, turn the eng. by hand, a few degrees at a time, and keep checking the tension. The left side's sweet spot is harder to find. (Rite side while looking at it) Patience is the key. Have a ball!!:):)

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Oh, and I can relate to the "right in front of me" concept. I went and bought another spray bottle of windex (smallish), cause I couldn't find mine. Get it home, and my wife says, "Is this what you were looking for?" It was right on the kitchen counter all along. DUH ! I usually keep it by computer. not!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Oh Boy,,,Went back and reviewed the threads and as I thought the answer was staring me in the face..Many thanks to the replies and especialy for the roll of pennies being the weight to use,now if I can save for a roll of pennies and find the gauge we used to use for the timing belts on a VW I'll have one more thing done..Once again... THANKS This is the best board... back to the shop and fire that puppy up!!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

ikesleeping wrote:
Oh Boy,,,Went back and reviewed the threads and as I thought the answer was staring me in the face..Many thanks to the replies and especialy for the roll of pennies being the weight to use,now if I can save for a roll of pennies and find the gauge we used to use for the timing belts on a VW I'll have one more thing done..Once again... THANKS This is the best board... back to the shop and fire that puppy up!!!
that is what I like about this site... lots of great guys (and gals) to help out... but a word of advise to a newbie... do not ask about oil brand, tyre brand, deer alerts, or, omg what is the fastest colour... lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.