Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Guys, the bike is almost ready for the rode, I took it on a 5 mile run, close to the house. Everything seemed to be ok, no leaks. didnt get hot, etc. When i got back to the shop, i can hear what sounds like a slight squalling or sqeaking for what i think is the timing belts, I replaced them with some new Gates belts, could it just be that the belts are new and need to loosen up a little bit? Also, ive got a small exhaust leak where the mufflers bolt up to the headers, what do i need to do there?

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Chris--You probably just got them a bit too tight. If they are making a noise, there is every possibility that a failed tensioner bearing will happen. Most folk, including myself,seem to get them a bit too snug on the first attempt. Might be an idea to take a second look at them. I know, a lot of bother, but it may be worth it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hi cmorris. Hawker's telling you right that noise is common with slightly tight timing belts. There's a seal that goes between the header and muffler that should eliminate that noise. I can't give you the part number since I don't know what year and model bike you have. It would help if you'd put your bike info in your profile signature line.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

Hey Chris,

Its also possible that if you got any antifreeze on the belts it will make a noise untill it "wears off".

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

I'll my .02 also. Sounds like the belts aretoo tight, but don't wait for them to stretch. Take the time tocheck thembefore something bad happens. And the gasket between the headers and the mufflers, I've only found them at Honda, a little pricey but I like the quite ride they give.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.