Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1999 Goldwing SE with 80000 Kms. and would like to know if I need to change the timing belt. Most of my riding is highway touring. Thanks for any replies

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

if you dont know when they was last changed, then change them whilst you have it on your mind, its cheaper to change the belts than topayfor the damage itwill cause ifone of the belts failed

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

YEP..change it

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Well, what is the belt change interval? I'd start there before assuming it needs to be done.

I went ahead and changed my 83's belts with 40k miles only because it had been sitting out in a back pasture for ~6 years and I wasn't sure the condition of the rubber. Turns out they were fine for the most part.

EDIT: The 1500 Goldwing manual states every 100,000 miles/160,000 km.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

tommyrich wrote:
I have a 1999 Goldwing SE with 80000 Kms. and would like to know if I need to change the timing belt. Most of my riding is highway touring. Thanks for any replies
I just changed my 88's with 52k miles/84K Km for peace of mind. It's not a difficult task especially if you use Rudy's step by step, plus you get to know your bike.

One of the two PO's had changed them but did not put any tension on the belts. They were slapping around in there and had severe wear on them.

Can you really trust a 10 year old rubber??:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

The newer unit seem to run longer, but I was told to change the timing belts on my 81 GL1100 every 30,000 miles. They will not show any signs of wear even when dangerously weak. They will just break and then its MAJOR repair time.

:action:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Well, what is the belt change interval? I'd start there before assuming it needs to be done.
I agree with the thought - if you don't know when they were done last, change them. However, having said that, I had my belts changed on my '75 and about 3K miles later, the left side let go. Here's what happens at 70 mph -

Back then (1989, I believe) it cost me about $325 for the mechanic to do it at his home shop.

Sure you want to run the risk of not changing them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.