Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1989 1500 with 48000 miles on I do not know if the belts were ever changed. Should I change them and what kind should I use? Is this something I could do myself?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

I bought a '95 1500 recently with 60k miles and I'll be changing my belts this winter.

I hear a good rule of thumb for timing belt replacement; 80k miles or 10 years which ever comes first. Of course there are many opinions on the subject.

Good luck!
JB

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Yes you can do it your self. Belts are Gates T275, Goodyear 40275, & Napa 250275.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

There was just a discussion the other day (Oct11)about changing timing belts....titled Gl1100 timing belts (yes or no) If you read that you will see that most agree that timing belts sould be changed on a regular basis and if you dont know for surethat yours were changed in the recent past, change them right away. A broken belt, although rare, does sometimes happen with the potential of destroying an engine. Even though the mentioned discussion was started with reference to a Gl1100 it relates to all GL models (except the Gl1800). Better safe than sorry.There are aftermarket belts available and I'm sure someone will give you the brands and numbers. Personally I always use Honda belts. It is something you can do yourself if you have some mechanical ability and some basic metric tools. Follow the shop book or if you dont have one the info can be had on this site. It is not a difficult job but you have to be cautious and precise with the timing. I believe it was Exavid that said there is more damage done to Goldwing engines by improper belt installations than actual breaks.......GM

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I did mine last winter on my 92. I used gates belts and the job was easy IF you are familiar with this type of job. Many posts here to "update" yourself. FYI..good time to change the antifreeze and get some new hose clamps. I marked all timing marks with white touch up paint to see better and when belts were off I checked the idle tension gears for no play or noise ( they were good at 82K) I think my Gates belts were 18.00 each. When ignition triggers were out I cleaned them both. Good luck and TURN BY HAND WHEN DONE!!!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I did this job only this morning on a friend's new 1500. When we took the covers off the belts looked like new (No dust, belts looked good). The bike came with a service history that started from new but was not updated for the past 5 years or so.

Even though they looked good we changed them as the new belts were already on the bench and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Take your time. Check, check again, mark and then check again when lining up the pulleys.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

As it's an 89 and you don't know when they were changed if at all, i would definately change them. I recently changed mine on my 88 1500 and can highly recomend using Rudy's tutorial on how to do it. It's far better and easier to understand than the Clymer or Haynes manuals. I found it really straight forward to use. Don't go to mother honda for the belts. i used a local car motor factor and just quoted the belt number to them. They didn't stock it but ordered it for me and i got the air of belts for a fraction of the price Honda were quoting.

Do it m8 and do it soon as if the belt goes, the goldie engines are contact engines and will cost a fortune to repair if the belt gives out.

It really is straight forward to do and if you stick to Rudy's instructions you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Depends entirely on your mechanical ability and comfort level. It's not a hard job, but only you know if you are capable. Many "how to" threads exist. As previously stated, I would do a little reading first.

AND, the way it sounds from this forum, most engine damage, due to timing belts, is caused by improper installation, not belt failure.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Unknown history is reason enough to change belts. And Mikef is right, you need to know what you are doing when changing timing belts.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Better safe than sorry.... Yuck!
We ride motorcycles, far from "safe"

My '93 with 21,000 miles has timing belts that were probably last checked in '93.

Instead of wrenching, I'll be out riding.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

http://goldwingtech.info/timingbelts/timingbelts.htm

Here's the link to Rudy's guide for replacing the belts on the 1500. I followed it to the letter and the only problem i had was i was one tooth out on one belt. Discovered this on the part when you set the belts and recheck the alignment. Quickly sorted this out and everything running great.

won't think twice about changing them again now and i have peace of mind for my upcoming work run out on the 24th.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

farmerkevin wrote:
Instead of wrenching, I'll be out riding.
Each to their own.

While I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, I put cambelts in the "consumables" list along with oil, grease, filters, brakes, tyresand spark plugs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.