Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
Can anyone direct me to Rudy's timing belt how to?

Thanks,
Mhk
Rudy hosted that on his own website, and when he passed on, his wife quit paying the hosting fees.

look at this link, he says as much:

I have looked a lot trying to find our "How To Page", and keep getting 401 errors to all of my bookmarks.

This page is full of photos, and Scott kind of goes over-board with his explanations, but at least you have pictures.

·
Administrator
25,337 Posts
Probably all thrown out with the dish water when the jerks that own this site took over.

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
Probably all thrown out with the dish water when the jerks that own this site took over.
I thought about mentioning that, but it would have made my post 'dirty'....
we lost a LOT of content when they changed to Xenforo (n):mad:

on my Link to that page, it was a .HTML link meaning that it was hosted directly on the Server's Hard Drive and that was thrown into the trash bin.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
There are some google pages for that,I just did mine ,plan on a dat to complete,note ( both radiator hoses have to come off and the air flow vent pipe) time to change coolant. I didn’t have fun
I got mine from Rockauto supply, T275 number for them.

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
yeah, didn't search for those, but since it has been mentioned, this one is very clumsy with the camera.

way too short:

several others, totally unimpressed with them..
way too sloppy with camera work,
shows only the belts finished up and the engine running,

Scott is still #1 with the current crop.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It is basically like a 4 cylinder but the cam does not move from its timing indicator,
remove the one pg,
the other will rotate on one bolt,
you can remove the plugs but I didn’t,
the radiator hoses and the hot air duct is the toughest thing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's not that tough to replace the timing belt's. Gold wing Doc's has a DIY artical that has pictures. I didn't remove my radiator hose's you just take your time with everything. Line up the mark's and put them on. The hardest part for me is the bike is on the ground and so am I, so getting up and down. I use my jack under the engine to get the bike up in the air a little. NAPA has gates belts like OEM but cheaper. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
this is Scott's thread over on GoldwingDocs, he has a ton of pictures in it

thats what I used for reference,is SE the only model that has the hot air plumbing,don’t know how the covers would come out without removing the hoses.?

·
Registered
22 Posts
thats what I used for reference,is SE the only model that has the hot air plumbing,don’t know how the covers would come out without removing the hoses.?
I have a 93 GL 1500SE as well. After I bought it used in 2017 having no idea if it had been serviced I did it as winter maintenance. I followed that goldwingdocs DIY step by step and had no issues. The ductwork was pretty simple to disconnect. Took me maybe 4 hours start to finish.

I did replace the tensioners as preventative maintenance. It's also a good idea to consider the coolant hoses if you don't know how old they are and you will need the luggage scale or something similar to set the belt tension.

·
Administrator
58,730 Posts
I have a copy of Rudy's GL1500 belt change saved in a pdf format. So it is not lost forever after all!

thank you for that, I remember having a PDF of it somewhere, but too many years, and too many failed computers since then.

there is one item that Rudy failed to comment on correctly.
He showed removing the Positive Lead of the battery first....
Bad idea, always remove the Negative Lead first, and just fold it someplace it can't touch the battery while doing the work.

·
life is good
1,168 Posts
yeah, didn't search for those, but since it has been mentioned, this one is very clumsy with the camera.

way too short:

several others, totally unimpressed with them..
way too sloppy with camera work,
shows only the belts finished up and the engine running,

Scott is still #1 with the current crop.
AZgl1800 is very helpful.thank you john for all you do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts