Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to know if I have to change the timing belts out on my 1982 Aspencade yet. I just got the bike in april and it has about 22000 miles on the speedometer but I don't know if that is the actual mileage or not. I had to change a thermostat and since I had the radiator out I decided to check the belts and to my surprise you can still read the printing on the belts. So, do I need to change them or let it go for a few thousand more miles.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Sometimes it not the mileage that kills belts, it's Father Time. Since you do not know how long those belts have been on there, change them. It's very cheap insurance. My bike had only 33,000 miles on it when I got it, but I knew the belts were 20 years old. Get the belts from NAPA, cheapest belts for the money. Don't know the part number off the top of my head, But you can do a Google search for NAPA belts GL1100.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:clapper::clapper: I agree with Raymond. Heck, you have most of the work done. I had my mechanic install Goodyear part number 40274. You need 2 of them. He said they were slightly longer than the belts that came off after 55k but they worked ok. However, you may wish to consider purchasing the Honda Belt. They will be twice the cost but you're talking about spending an extra $50.00 for both belts. It may be worth it. I tried to get the Napa belts and could not get both of them. One was in stock and the other was on back order. :(

While you are doing this job you may wish to check the water pump. Make sure you get the special coolant for the Honda. Regular coolant won't work. Do a search on this website for info on coolant.

Is this your first Goldwing and what kind did you get? :18red::11black::1000red:

One last thing, Welcome to the best forum in the world. These guys are great, have a good sense of humor and are very helpful. Some of the members even have some knowledge. Have fun and keep the rubber side down. :jumper:

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Rarely do you find more than on NAPA belt in stock at one store. It's not a common enough part, but with a big city like Phoenix, they'll have 2 in the city more than likely, and they can get it to you next or same day. NAPA part number 250274. Also, get a radiator hose part number 7733 and you can cut it in two pieces and replace both your radiator hoses. They are old too.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

Gates belt T274 also works. Called the local autoparts store (Baxters), theyshipped them in overnight from Seattle. What service! $30/ea.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hello Redeyeand welcome to the forum. Take the advice of the experienced folks here and replace the belts. You won´t regret it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the belts on my 1984 GL1200A and was quite surprised at how good the old ones looked after 21 years and 60,000 km. Nonetheless, and based on advice from the wizards on this site, I replaced them and now feel much easier.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I also just replaced the belts on my 84-1200. At 21 years old didn't want to start 3000 mi. trip on old ones. Got the new ones from NAPA for 11.85 each,honda wanted 62.00 each,saved 100.00. That is money I can use for the trip to TEXAS next week. By the way the NAPA belts fit perfectly. Just my .10(inflation)-phil

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thankyou everyone for all of your advice. This site is awesome..... You guys and gals know alot more about Goldwings and how they react to things than I do...so I will take your advice and I will change the belts out for all of our peace of mind.

Thanks again for your help :waving:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.