Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Without question, since I started writing these things, the most requested how-to article has been timing belts. It's taken quite some time to put together, but I'm happy to say that I have a just posted a (GL1500 version of) How to remove and replace your timing belts.

Any comments, corrections, suggestions, etc. are of course more than welcome.

I hope to have a GL1100 version of a timing belts article online later this winter.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I hope to have a GL1100 version of a timing belts article online later this winter.
That would be great...But I think I'm still gonna have mine done for me next week when I have them do the fork seals / springs. Perhaps after the next 50K, I'll try changing my own belts...LOL

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Thank you GS , this is fantastic especially the photo's showing step by step for us not so mechanically minded.

Thank You again.:bow:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
Thank you GS , this is fantastic especially the photo's showing step by step for us not so mechanically minded.

Thank You again.:bow:
That's the idea - I try to side on the "too many pictures" rather than "not enough." I know that when you're trying to do something that you're unfamiliar with, especially something that can potentially cause damage (i.e. timing belts) it's reassuring to be able to look at the pictures and know that you're doing it exactly right.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

It's always good to have another one.

I still get an average of 255 page views / month for my original belt change photo guide.
Used to be mainly from here until Steve made his, but now visitors are more from global sources than anywhere.

http://goldwingtech.info/timingbelts/timingbelts.htm

It is consistently the 2nd most popular page on my site, right after my motorcycle links page.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Great article.

Bought my first Wing last year, and we're loving it. Got an '88 with 100,000 miles on it.

Doing a lot of maintyenance, chrome, and upgrades this winter to (half the fun of driving the wing is tweeking it during the cold winter in a nice warm garage).

As a precautionary measure I'm replacing the belts and clutch plates (p.o. trailered, for the little cost of plates like to start from zero)

Now you've got me wondering.

A month ago I'd bought a trigge advance wheel, and then later bought a set of cam belts and clutch plates from Sabre Cycle.

I'm thinking the trigger wheel is a sure bet to go ahead with. Now you've got me wondering if I should ditch the Sabre belts and maybe even also the clutch plates? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Not much wrong you can do with a trigger wheel. That said, there isn't much from Saber Cycle that I would consider putting on my bike, and timing belts are absolutely the last thing from them that I would ever use. Belts are just too important, and Saber Cycle's Chinese junk just hasn't got a very good reputation for reliability and longevity.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Not much wrong you can do with a trigger wheel. That said, there isn't much from Saber Cycle that I would consider putting on my bike, and timing belts are absolutely the last thing from them that I would ever use. Belts are just too important, and Saber Cycle's Chinese junk just hasn't got a very good reputation for reliability and longevity.
I agree! Even they don't believe their belts are reliable. They recommend changing them much sooner than the industrial grade brand name belts. As a matter of fact, I've never seen anyone recommend belt changes as frequent as they recommend.

Saber is one of those places where if I couldn't find something ANYWHERE else, had to have it and didn't care if I lost my money trying to get it.... then I'd consider again how bad I had to have it.

Others have had some luck with them. That's what I consider it... luck.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

For the same price as junk Chinese made belts, Amazon has Gates T275 for $16.55 each. Clearly a no-brainer. Do yourself a favor, and buy name brand belts. A broken belt could mean the difference in riding your bike or parting it out cause the engine just swallowed some valves.

Love the tutorial, will be using it here shortly. Hard to find time to do my "Winter" maintenance when it's supposed to be in the upper 70's this weekend.

Gates T275 are now $15.43 at Amazon. 2nd time it's gone down in the past few days. Better get 'em quick!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

The consensus is out for the belts, and not much doubt either.

Thanks guys, easier to throw the in the garbage now, than after I'd put them on.

On a side note, whats the opinions on the clutch plates, toss them too?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Unless they (the originals) are slipping after an oil change with good oil, I'd leave them until proven needed.
If I needed clutch plates, Honda OEM is what I'd use for that.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

wingercanuck wrote:

Thanks guys, easier to throw the in the garbage now, than after I'd put them on.

Well, if it were me I wouldn't use them.... BUT, if you already bought them, use them while you can. The clutch plates are not a very hard item to replace once you've done it one time, and if they start to slip you can get some others. I've changed out clutch plates on two 1100 bikes, and it went pretty quick.

Plus if they start to slip or flake off, you're not really going to hurt anything.

Just remember, items like they sell are made by the lowest bidder, and you get what you pay for. But what is your time and trouble really worth to put junk in your bike? I figure if a part can lead to me being stranded out on the road, it's worth it to use the best. Stuff like peeling or rusting chrome isn't going to keep me stranded in South Moosechunk cause my bike broke down.

My apologies to the fine citizens of Moosechunk, it's a lovely town, just your motel stinks...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

wingercanuck wrote:

I have never been sorry I paid extra for OEM.

I have been sorry a couple of times when I went with aftermarket stuff.

Oddly, OEM doesn't always cost more when buying it. Aftermarket can end up costing a whole lot more when you are using it...Suppose those cheapie clutch plates give up the ghost on a trip, miles and miles away from that warm garage you speak of. Then, you get to pay some incompetent oaf a pile of dough to get you back on the road.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
For the same price as junk Chinese made belts, Amazon has Gates T275 for $16.55 each. Clearly a no-brainer..
I agree. The ones that Saber Cycles sell are of doubtful quality. I seen them in a GL1200 that a mate had installed about 2,000 miles before he decided to pull the belt covers again and replace them with a chromed set. The Saber supplied belts were all shined up and the writing worn off. I would have said the tension on the belts was too tight but they weren't, and the chap is a mechanic and fitted belts to Goldwings before and they never got shiny or lost the white writing in short order like that.
He decided to play safe by pulling the Saber belts back off and fitting Gates instead.
The Saber belts may well be fine, but the look of them after 2,000 miles did not inspire confidence in this instance.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Thanks guys.....

Gates belts on order....gonna listen to Rudy and hold off on the plates.

Was going to do them more as a preventative measure (which at 100k+ miles probably is overkill)....

I don't 'think' they're slipping, but this is my first wing. When I crank on the throttle in 4'th or 5'th gear, it seems a little soft in acceleration compared to my V45 Super Magna.....but then of course it is about 300 pounds heavier......

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
imported post

please write a detailed tutorial on putting your 1100 back together after you have taken it completely down to the frame. i may be in over my head. thanks ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.