Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've replaced belts and bad ignitors.

Does anyone know if the front cowling has to be pluged in to start this 86 Aspy?

I think I've found the electrical problem but would like to test run it before ass.

Vic

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Do you mean the front engine cover or the plastic cowl? I'd say front cover needs to be in place or else oil and coolant from the engine will end up all over the floor.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I'm talking about the plastic fairing and dash harness. I only have radiator & timing cover off on the engine itself.

Vic

·
Administrator
27,096 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't be any reason it won't start but don't run it long without the radiator.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Guess that means I haven't found all of the electical problem.

AndI was hoping all I needed was a bigger hammer.

Whats the chance of both coils quiting at once?

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

check pulse generators? resistance around 350 ohms, heat and check again. i'll be watching and posting as i'm going through same thing. doubt serious both coils fail same time, not impossible just unlikely. going to work on mine keep in touch, if i find something i'll let you know:waving::action:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Your right. I changed pulse generators. They read 350-365 same as the one good one I had. Thats not the reading I found in the manual. Same with the coils dif than book but equal. Checked switch for continuity ok for the wires the manual listed that I actually had, don't know about the rest. Control box next!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

somewhere on p/g threads was written a better test is a/c on meter crank and test for .3-.9 v ac, not sure if thats accurate, but i couldn't even get .1. in process of changing mine, i'll let you know if i find something, not sure it will help but what the hay.:waving:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

It's runnin and I'm happier than a pig eatin U know. And a dumbass 2 boot:D

The pulse generators did fix most of the problem. I just didn't know it till a local cop saw blue flame while I was showing him how it would turn over but no start from lack of fire. It had no gas . Gave her a shot of ether, and one for me and kerplunk kerplunk away she went. You know these engines are even quiet without headers.

They do start without the fairing and dash harness. and without thermostat harness, radiator, lights, kickstand switch and more I'm sure.

I seem to have weak fire from one coil. Is that possible? Some one said they either work or they don't. Should I look for something else or change that coil?

Vic:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

good run without all that stuff but still need gas:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: the coils on autos either on or off but have seen them run till hot then fail. well i'm well on my way, feel better knowing p/g seemed to fix you, had me kinda nervous:waving::action:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.