Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering what would cause this. i triple checked everything, turned the engine by hand, no problems, the cam pulley marks were facing "up", the crank marks were in alignment with the cam pulleys, the ignition pulsers were reinstalled in the exact positions.

the idle seems to lope, but steady, and is harder to start

maybe the timing is 180 degrees off?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
My timing was 180 deg off on one side when I bought my bike. It was hard to start but it ran. It had NO low end power but ran like a scalded dog above 4000 rpms. It didnt lope, kinda ran smooth but not as smooth as it runs now. My left cam the words on the pulley were up and the right cam pulley the words were upside down. When I pulled off the belt the right cam spun around about 150 deg. I made sure that the crank was between 1-2 and 3-4 marks so there wasnt any pistons on TDC. Also when the cams are in time with each other, both of the keyways in the cam will face the same way. IIRC I had to remove the center bolt and washer from both cams to see the keyway.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
If all the timing marks are aligned and the UP is reading right way up, you can't be out 180 degrees. If you are, one of the UP marks is upside down at the mark on the engine casing.
Basically if your marks are aligned as in these pictures here, you got it right. In that case you should check for vacuum leaks or bad plug leads or caps.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Ted is right. If your marks are lined up right way up like in those photos, your timing is spot on.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
If you took off the spark plugs to make turning the engine by hand easier, check the plug wires are in the right spots.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
timing belts, what went wrong

i was pulling the spark plugs to recheck my timing marks. found some debris bridging one of the spark plug electrodes

cleaned it off and reinstalled the spark plugs, fired right up and idled smoothly the way it should.

happy!!:claps::bow:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Vern
Please keep it to one tread per topic. This makes it three on the same subject. Clutters up the forum and doesn't help others looking for answers that might happen across through a search, the answer needs to stay with the question.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I am glad you found the problem,
a moderator may merge the threads.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
go ahead and merge this. thanks to the support of you guys i was able to regain the confidence to do this:waving:

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
I merged the last thread with the other one on this page.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.