Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find anything. I need the number for the gates timing belts for a 95 SE. The bike I'm going to look at/buy tomkorrow has had a lot of service done but the timing belts are original. It has 69,000 on it.so it's time to change them if I get the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. I got the guy to come down $200 on the price when I said I would have to get new timing belts installed

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get the bike. Drove 75 miles to pick it up and when I got there the right saddle bag was all scratched up. Bad scratches. The seller said it fell when he was loading it in the trailer. he still expected me to buy it. No way,

·
New Sidecar guy
67 Posts
Well that sux.. Did he at the least offer a reduction in the price?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a search and didn't find anything. I need the number for the gates timing belts for a 95 SE. The bike I'm going to look at/buy tomkorrow has had a lot of service done but the timing belts are original. It has 69,000 on it.so it's time to change them if I get the bike.

doesn't the manual state to inspect them at 100k miles and only change if they fail the inspection? if age was a factor honda would have had a time replacement interval. they are high quality industrial belts designed to run 24/7. the materials used, nylon and aramid, don't easily age/degrade unless left sitting in the sun for yrs. they don't work hard, valve spring pressure is only about 90lbs. they are not the cheap timing belts use in 1980's car requiring replacement at 60k miles.

I have my '98 valkyrie apart right now, changing the heads and camshafts, and at 62k miles belts look new and per inspection in the manual show zero wear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just had my belts changed back in March with 143k on the odometer and as far as i know they were original. One belt was stretched a little more than the other and the bike runs better too. Mileage has gone from 40+ to about 36-37 mpg and I attribute that to a little snappier throttle response LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
When I got the '93 two years ago it only had 43k on the odo, I asked the PO when the last time they were changed. He said never been done. Hawaii title showed he'd had the bike since '95. Not sure if he was second owner, or he bought it NOS.

At any rate, I figured they were overdue since the bike was 24 yrs old. $36 for a set of Gates belts from Amazon and a couple hrs work is cheap insurance.

On my '85 Toyota (350k miles, I got it in '90 with 97k) I've replaced timing belt several times. First one (probably original) I was under the hood with the engine idling, and heard a regular flap-flap-flap sound coming from inside the timing cover. The edge of the belt had shredded and was flapping around in there. Had a couple belts outright fail, too. I try to change them at 75k these two didn't make it that far. Fortunately the Toyota 2000cc 4 cyl is a non-interference engine. First fail a section of the belt had snapped the internal strengthening threads along one edge and jumped about 8 cogs. This one only had 23k on it. The other fail was last year, on my way to work. The belt had 70k on it when it let go. Still looked brand-new, except right where it snapped in two......

·
Registered
553 Posts
Probably not, unless it has the plastic-tooth timing sprockets that Generous Motors was so famous for.... GM used plastic teeth so they'd be "quieter". Call your local GM garage, they'd know what kind of sprockets are OEM on the beast...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts