Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know there is alot of people with different ideas i was wondering for the timing belts on my 1500 which is the best belts for the money. I am sure this has been covered at some point but i can't seem to find it on the site.

Thoughts

Tom:bow:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

Yep, the ones I just installed on mine last week.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

So what do you think so far of the belts or there is no difference my belts almost 20 years old and want to make sure i do this right. She is my baby and only should get the best. Did you get them from rock auto?

tom

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I just installed the T275 gates on mine...two minutes on'em and going strong!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sam
That is a good price. I bought some at Napa last yaer in Jan and paid $28 each.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

great thanks guys mother honda wants 67.50 a piece not sure the quality is any different.

Tom

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Not that much better. Save $100 and you can buy 3 more sets or get MORE SMILES PER GALLON

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
imported post

Tom Lund wrote:
great thanks guys mother honda wants 67.50 a piece not sure the quality is any different.

Tom

I'm pretty sure that Gates makes the belt for Honda.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I got the Gates from Amazon and they were/are dandy.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

cbx4evr wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Gates makes the belt for Honda.
Or gets them from the same place in China that Honda does?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

Gates DOES makes the belts for Honda. My dealer wanted $75 ea, and $400 to install. Gates on Amazon was a LOT cheaper. I had them on and running in 90 minutes. Let them run for about 15 minutes, checked the tension, then buttoned everything back up. My old belts only had 42,000 miles on them, but they were on a 96', so they were more than 10 years old.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I order the belts from amazon this morning total to my door 38.00 my mechanic is honda certified works on his own will put them in for 200.00. i can say i can hardly wait to ride.

Tom

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

Now is also a good time to put new plugs in too, while all the plastic is out of the way.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

ifly1956 wrote:
Gates DOES makes the belts for Honda.
If you work for the Gates factory that makes the belts I'll take your word for it.
If on the other hand you're assuming that because you bought your belts from Gates that they make them for Honda then as I said it's probable that they both have their belts made in third word countries, it may or may not be the same factory.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

Hi Ken, my statement was Gates makes the belts for Honda. Which factory they are made in, I really don't know. It could be China. But if the same factory makes both, OEM or Gates, the odds are your still buying the same belt, but at a lot lower cost.
http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?brochure=5168&location_id=5260

Question - has anyone on this board ever had a non Honda timing belt fail? Is yes, what was the mileage and brand?

We know Honda outsourced the alternators to china, so anything is possible.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.