Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello everyone i just joined and I purchased a 88 gl 1500 a year ago. It has 93256 miles on it now. The previous owner changed the belts out at 46500 miles. The bike is running fine. I keep hearing I need to change them every 45000 miles. I see on here some have posted check at 100,000. I am all confused :?. I will change them if necessary butI don't want to go to the exspense and time if it is not necessary. I would prefurr to ride. Where I live in south Ga. I can pretty much ride all year.

If i need to do this I would prefurr to change them myself is this a big job? What all is involved?

Please help a confused1st timeowner of a goldwing.

I also would like to ask the forum what is the best type of polish to use? I have read Glare (expsensive) is goodand I have also read that liquid glass is better and more econonical.

thank you for any help you can give.

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hi Doug and welcome to the Forum. :waving:

A goof rule of thumb is to change the belts every 80,000 miles or 8 years since last change.

As for polish, I just use some Lemon Pledge after washing. Quick n easy with good results gets my thumbs up every time. :cooler:

Dusty

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'm with Dusty Boots except I prefer MeGuires #26 Yellow Wax and touch ups with Honda Cleaner/Polish.

Belts are not bad. Sounds like you don't need them yet.

Click on the top link in my signature below for a guide.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Changing the belts is not hard, provided you are comfortable with your mechanical expertise. That's a choice YOU must make and I personally would not advise doing it yourself, if you have doubts. IMHO, of course.

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!! :cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

Hi Doug,

Welcome from AR! Beautiful bike and trailer you have there!

Hey Dusty, are you serious about the Lemon Pledge?? We're looking for something easy, safe to shine in between big clean-ups.

Berta (AspectTwo)

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome Doug . Thats a nice looking outfit you have . I am in the Lemon Pledge camp as well . Works on the windshield and paint . Should you decide to change belts the tutorial by Rudy is good info .

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

AspectTwo wrote:
Hey Dusty, are you serious about the Lemon Pledge?? We're looking for something easy, safe to shine in between big clean-ups.

Berta (AspectTwo)

Yes, I am serious. Been using it since 1977.

When I get the chance(I'd rather be riding than cleaning/polishing!!), I use Crystal-Glo for a major wash and then use the Lemon Pledge. It's fast/easy and doesn't leave any streaks/white residue, like most waxes(including the Crystal-Glo Arcrylic Motorcycle Polish! :X :whip: ), when they dry and you can't get it out of the small cracks of thepanels/joints, crevices etc. without a lot of work/time. (I'd rather be riding, remember! :waving:)

With the Lemon Pledge, I can polish my bike in 10-15 minutes, including the windshield and it leaves my bike with a great looking depth/lustre to the paint. It also works great on the rubber trim/black panels on the bike.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Wel Doug, I thought maybe we could be friends, but when I saw your rig, I decided I must hate you now.LOL Just kiddin'! Man what a nice set-up! I really like your trailer! I live in Phenix City Alabama area (close to Columbus, Ga.) Maybe we'll meet up sometime! I agree with riding the dickens out of your bike,and not worrying about those belts yet. I doubt VERY much your belts are at all worn. It's really a personal thing. Some will change em, some don't. I don't think there are alot of failures on bikes that are being riden regularly. It's when they sit, I'm told, that they may start to degrade. Welcome to the forum, lots of friends to be made here, I guarentee you! Happy riding! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

thank you for the advice and i look forwardto seeing you on the road

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Hi Jim, I live in columbus for about 10 years know all about Phenix city. I work for an insurance co there. If you ever down this way give me a shout on the email and we will plan a ride. We are heading for Helen this weekend for a ride. take care ride safe

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thank you all for the advise and the lemon pleadge i will diffently give it a try. I look forward to talk with all of you and you have all been very helpful. thankyou all vor the advice. Ride safe and hope to see all of you soon. Heading to the mountains in North Ga this weekend up in Helen and plan to ride up to run the dragon.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

I'm of the school of thought that if you don't know for sure about the belts then change them out. You said you would rather be riding? Well if a belt goes out on you, you won't be riding for awhile.

I've also heard good about the lemon pledge, but I personally prefer the plexus polish. You can get it at most motorcycle shops and it works great on the windshield as well as on the helmet visors.

Welcome to one heck of a site. You're going to meet a lot of good people here from around the world.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
imported post

Nice Wing Dusty. Lemon Pledge huh?.......I've gotta try it.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Welcome!

Finally had the timing belts changed on my '99 SE at 105,000 miles. Compared thenew onesto theOEM originals that wereremoved: no stretch, no rounding, no scuffing, no abrasion, no cracks, no rounding, clean edges, belt material still shiny and printing on backside fully legible. They were a little dusty, though...

In 30 years of servicing Wings, my Honda dealership says it's only replaced two sets of timing belts on 1500's, both at owner request. Mine at 105,000 miles, and one other at 185,000 miles. They do encourage GL1100/1200 owners to change at 45,000 mile intervals. If Goldwing timing belts failed as often as rumor has it, Honda would have a worse reliability reputation than a unicycle.:dude:

Polish: Mequiar's Qwick Wax for routine; Meguiar New Car Gloss for the season.

Regards:leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

I just got back from riding in mountains around helen ga. It was wet but great no problem. plan to do it again soon. I have decided not change out belts. bike is running great.
I HOPE TO RIDE TAT AREA AGAIN SOON.
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE REPLYS.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Hey fenry. How ya doin bud. Out of all the post I've been reading I pick yours to make the most sense. One thing I don't agree with is your claim that naval aviators never left one up there. What aboutAmelia Earhart? And don't say she wasn't a naval aviator.:dude:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.