Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I changed my timing belts about three weeks ago. Couldn't really tell how tight the tensioners were - so I just went with my gut. Reassembled everything and noticed a little noise immediately after getting back on the road. I thought "well maybe they just need to settle in" - 150 -200 miles later the noise seems to be coming from under the valve covers. Can having the timing belt a little snug hurt the engine?

You guyshave given me excellent advice in the past - thanks a bunch!

Mike :):):)

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

Hi MJ, I do not know ifthey can do any damage to the engine, but to tight might cause premature belt breakage and you do not want that. I changed my belts a few years ago and I had the whining noise at 2000rpmI think, it was annoying and I eventually went back in and losened the tensioners. What I found out was by following the specs givin for slack deflection of the belts, the noise would not go away. What I did was to slacken the tensioners and the belts would not be within spec. for belt deflection, they would be more slack, if I remember correctly around 10 mm(sorry canadian coming out of me) I think book calls for 5-7 mm, I will check for you later. I was told to just tighten the tensioners where they rest in position, and do not tension them up.The belts tighten up with the engine running. To tight is no good but hopefully someone will come and explain better. I only changed my belts once and it took me many trial and errors to get it right because I was following my specs. inthe book.

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

Good morning, I checked my records and when I changed my old belts that were 11 yrs old the belt deflection was 17mm befor change out. The manual calls for 5-7 mm (0.2-0.3 in.)usinga force of 4.4lbs. I thought maybe my tensioners were making the noise, no access to information, and following the specs. of 5-7mmin the book I went out and bought new tensioners (which are still in the bag and box they arrived in.) Using the force of 4.4Ibs my belts were tensioned to about 10mm and the noise went away. To check the tension of the belts on theleft side, at the middle of long run of the belt(bottom). The right side in the book it shows checking tension on the top run of the belt, about an inch and half back from where the belt actual touches the large cam pulley. These are the measuring points for belt deflection on my 91 wing.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Too tight will put unnecessary pressure on the bearings and lead to an early failure of the bearings.

Too loose and you can jump a tooth.

I just did mine and I'm loosing sleep over the tension as we speak. I think I'm going to go back in and check them one more time before I start my 4000 mile trip next weekend :)

steve

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

How did you measure the tension? I understand the slack measurement but the tension should be around 4 pounds - how did you check that? Thanks for your efforts! I appreciate it. :)

Mike

PS -its funny you called me MJ - that has been my "nickname" for years.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
I changed my timing belts about three weeks ago. Couldn't really tell how tight the tensioners were - so I just went with my gut. Reassembled everything and noticed a little noise immediately after getting back on the road. I thought "well maybe they just need to settle in" - 150 -200 miles later the noise seems to be coming from under the valve covers. Can having the timing belt a little snug hurt the engine?

You guyshave given me excellent advice in the past - thanks a bunch!

Mike :):):)
Hey Mike :waving:sounds like you need to loosen them a little,,,I had the same thing a few weeks ago when I wedged the right one a little tighter than the spring tension on the pulley itself did,,,I went back loosened them off and got the belt in the most slack position and let the spring on the pulley do it. Now it is fine.:)

My understanding is it is better to be a little loose than a little tight.

:12red::cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

Hi, the tensionershave sealed bearings inside. To answer your question about 4.4 lbs of force, I used a fish weighing scale. In my book it says NOTE; Install the tensioner springs with the open ends at the tensioner facing outward. Check the timing mark alignment and then proceed.Tighten the tensioner, DRIVEN pulley side bolt first, then tighten the DRIVE pulley side bolt. Driven being the outside bolt and drive being theinside bolt on either tensioner. Push the belt upper run midway between the pulleys with 4.4 lbs of force. The belt slack should be 5-7 mm. Check the timing mark alignment and tighten the tensioner bolts for the left belt the same. Note; inspect and adjust timing belt tension while engine is cold. This is all from the book. I found that using 5-7 mm (cold) did not make the whinning go away. I ended up not putting on my front cover over the belts, and would adjust everything and then go for a ride, whinning around 2000 rpm. What I found out was when it got hot the belts tightened up, so I ended up with a 9-10mm belt deflection (cold), went for a ride and the noise was gone. I used a fish scale and a ruler andpulled on the beltuntil 4.4 lbs was reached and measured. Iwas told after much searching that put it all on and let the springdo the work is the way as dean said above. This belt deflection measurement really threw me off, follow the manual specs and whinning.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Beginner question: Is there a recommended interval for replacing GL1200 timing belts, or is it all based on stretching?

After hearing about bent valves and all, I'm tempted to swap them out regardless. The bike has 72,000 on it and I don't know if the belts are original.

Just bought an '86 Apsencade after years on a BMW R65. The Copilot sure likes her seat a lot better!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

TrialsGuy wrote:
Beginner question: Is there a recommended interval for replacing GL1200 timing belts, or is it all based on stretching?

After hearing about bent valves and all, I'm tempted to swap them out regardless. The bike has 72,000 on it and I don't know if the belts are original.

Just bought an '86 Apsencade after years on a BMW R65. The Copilot sure likes her seat a lot better!

Thanks in advance for the advice.
TrialsGuy, a very good rule of thumb on the older Wings is: WHEN IN DOUBT, REPLACE THEM. A broken timing belt can ruin a good motor & can put you & your wallet out of commission for quite a while.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

MJ -- while you're looking, check the tensioner pulleys themselves for surface wear (also any binding or noise when spinning them by hand, or excessive lateral play. They should have some lateral play, but not much). Mine apparently have a groove worn in them from being adjusted too tightly on the belts. Even with proper tension, the belts now don't ride smoothly, and make noise. I've been told i have to replace the tensioner pulleys now.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

TrialsGuy, a very good rule of thumb on the older Wings is: WHEN IN DOUBT, REPLACE THEM. A broken timing belt can ruin a good motor & can put you & your wallet out of commission for quite a while.

Twisty
Thanks for the advice, I went over to NAPA and ordered the equivalent belt I saw listed here in aother thread.I'll be diving into that particular hole tomorrow afternoon.(Bought a service manual too) I also found a thread talking about brakes and cruise control that solved that mystery. This is a very useful and well runforum.

Now, if I can just figure out how to bunnyhop this thing onto the trailer likemytrialsbike ... :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

jj wrote:
Hi MJ, I do not know ifthey can do any damage to the engine, but to tight might cause premature belt breakage and you do not want that. I changed my belts a few years ago and I had the whining noise at 2000rpmI think, it was annoying and I eventually went back in and losened the tensioners. What I found out was by following the specs givin for slack deflection of the belts, the noise would not go away. What I did was to slacken the tensioners and the belts would not be within spec. for belt deflection, they would be more slack, if I remember correctly around 10 mm(sorry canadian coming out of me) I think book calls for 5-7 mm, I will check for you later. I was told to just tighten the tensioners where they rest in position, and do not tension them up.The belts tighten up with the engine running. To tight is no good but hopefully someone will come and explain better. I only changed my belts once and it took me many trial and errors to get it right because I was following my specs. inthe book.

jj-- I was looking for some posts about timing belt whining and mine are almost doing the same thing dead on and I just finished doing this job for the first time yesterday.

Took her for a test drive yesterday and they were fine. It's alot warmer today and they are making noise around 2000 rpm.

Interesting everyone is saying to loosen them up, I had a devil of a time getting the NAPA beltsover the tensioner pulley and after I did, theyhad some play, but not much.

I'm probably going to have to go back in, but I don't see how they could be any looser than what they were when I closed her up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.