Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've read lots of posts about changing timing belts. I can't find anywhere in my manual about the frequency to change them. Is there a suggested frequency?

Thanks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
I've read lots of posts about changing timing belts. I can't find anywhere in my manual about the frequency to change them. Is there a suggested frequency?

Thanks.
I wouldn't let them go for much more than four years or 50,000 miles and I'd probably take a look at them at 30,000. They probably will last much longer but I don't want to push my luck with the belts because the result of a broken belt is rather expensive.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

This has been well covered here before and the general opinion was that you should change them every 2 or 3 years or 60000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks. I expect it has been covered here before but I'm new to this forum. Please excuse redundant questions.

Thanks for your reply exavid.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Thanks. I expect it has been covered here before but I'm new to this forum. Please excuse redundant questions.

Thanks for your reply exavid.
If we didn't have redundant questions, this would be a lot smaller forum, nothing to excuse there! Feel free to redundant away!:waving:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I would set a ceiling of 50,000 miles or 3 years. Especially with flood of non Honda belts out there. I got some Ebay specials made in Mexico and I'm not sure I'll take them past 40k. Call me chicken but I have broke a set before trying to get more than 60k out of them and it wasn't fun.... Oddly enough I just put all new valves in the bike and kept it for another 100,000 miles and it still didn't burn oil though the compression was down to 125 PSI so it's not a death knell but it is expensive, or allot of work if you do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I know that 1200's need to be changed at 80-90,000km but don't know about 1500's, it must be something similar

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
I know that 1200's need to be changed at 80-90,000km but don't know about 1500's, it must be something similar
They are all the same (different belts though)except for the 1800 which uses a chain.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

60,000 for bikes and cars is a good number?!

I pushed mine to 75,000 and they still had another 20,000 in life on them but if they snap your engine is history !

I ran into a guy that had 200,000 on his, I'm not that brave ?!

Napa's belts work good !

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I just spoke to the guy I bought the bike from and he just had them changed 2,000 miles ago so I'm all set. I went by his house and got the receipt to be damn sure.

Thanks all.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 1000 has the same size belts, different length but same cross section as all the other models. I can see no reason why anyone would need to change them that often. I'd want to inspect them every 10,000 miles or so but if they looked okay there's no reason to change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.