Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am working on replacing the timing belts on my '75 GL 1000. The left belt seemed to go onfine but afterI got it tightened upI checked the crankcase timing mark, (whichwas lined up whenI started) it was off. I linedit up again with the kickstart andchecked the marks on the"cam gear" (which was also lined up when I started) and it was a little off. My question is how much leeway (ie. millimeters) do I have here with all these marks? (I'd like unbent valves if possible :goofygrin:)Also, the other"cam gear" won't stay whereI put it (possibly because of the valve spring(s)). Anyone got a trickto hold this onein place? And lastly, aftereverything isalllined up and back together, how much play should the belts have? Don't wanna cook any bearings which I'vebeen told can happen if they're too tight.:shock:

thx guys

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

There was a big thread about this a month or so back. Apparently half a tooth out isn't unusual and is acceptable.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

resto wrote:
I am working on replacing the timing belts on my '75 GL 1000. The left belt seemed to go onfine but afterI got it tightened upI checked the crankcase timing mark, (whichwas lined up whenI started) it was off. I linedit up again with the kickstart andchecked the marks on the"cam gear" (which was also lined up when I started) and it was a little off. My question is how much leeway (ie. millimeters) do I have here with all these marks? (I'd like unbent valves if possible :goofygrin:)Also, the other"cam gear" won't stay whereI put it (possibly because of the valve spring(s)). Anyone got a trickto hold this onein place? And lastly, aftereverything isalllined up and back together, how much play should the belts have? Don't wanna cook any bearings which I'vebeen told can happen if they're too tight.:shock:
Resto, check this thread out (from a few days ago)--

Just click on the link-- http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/2502.html

Twisty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.