Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While I have Bargoyle stripped down, and considering I have to order more o-rings, I may as well replace the timing belts right?

Just take 'em off? replace 'em? Anything to watch for?

Thanks all...

:waving::clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'm sure you know this, but just tobe sure... make sure everything is lined up! The timing belts open and close your valves. If they're a few teeth off your bike can run like crap, if they're installed indescriminately you could end up with bent valves and damaged pistons just by touching the starter button.

Follow the service manual and you should be okay. It's pretty easy to change timing belts.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The cams may move a little when you remove the old belts. Just follow the instructions in your manual to get them realigned and then check the valve timing by the procedure in the manual. Also, Twisty had a very good write up of how to set the idler tensioners on this forum about a week ago.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I looked at bike bandit for the parts, and find that the checking account says I should wait till another time. I have a monster paycheck coming soon that I can carve out the dough, but I will have to wait tilltoo bad I cant take advantage of the radiator and all being out of the way.

Thanks all. I sure love having this resource. I wish and hope that I can contribute something.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

The timing belts can be had for a fraction of Honda prices by using NAPA or Gates belts.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
The timing belts can be had for a fraction of Honda prices by using NAPA or Gates belts.
True, I bought NAPA belts for both my previous 1200 and my current 1500. Around $60 for the pair.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

There is no better time to change the belts than while you have the radiator out. Doing it with the radiator still installed is a royal pain in the you know where. Beg, borrow, or steal if you have to.:coollep:

The Gates part # is T274

The NAPA (Gates belt) is part # 250274

(for the 1100cc motor)... If I am remembering right, that is what you have.

Just a helpful hint for future reference, put your bike year and model in a signature line... helps everybody help you when you have a tech question.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I think I spent less than $30 for both ofthe GL1000 belts. Probably the same belts for your 1100.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

axelwik wrote:
I think I spent less than $30 for both ofthe GL1000 belts. Probably the same belts for your 1100.
Excellent suggestion, Marco. I checked there yesterday for o-rings, but they only had yankee sizes. My local napa dudes are pretty good.

Will look into it...

Peace...

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

What model do you have? The 1200's use NAPA timing belt 250070. Also the upper and lower radiator hoses can be fabricated by cutting NAPA hose 7733. I have read that a thermostate should be real honda due to a larger opening allowing more flow.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I pulled one of the belts off tonite, so I can take it with me to Napa. I am glad that the napa option is there. The one belt I took off looks good for 98% of the belt. The other 2% looks like an accident waiting to happen.

As I took the belt off, but before it popped all the way off, I used a sharpie to color a tooth, as well as a spot on the case right next to it. That should do for a mark.

More to come.

Dont forget to post your vote on the 1st Annual West Coast WingNuts Jamboree and Mosquito Roundup!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
Just a helpful hint for future reference, put your bike year and model in a signature line... helps everybody help you when you have a tech question.
Thanks for the reminder. I usually do, but spaced this time.

:gunhead::gunhead::gunhead::gunhead::gunhead:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

SoulvilleUSA wrote:
There is no better time to change the belts than while you have the radiator out. Doing it with the radiator still installed is a royal pain in the you know where. Beg, borrow, or steal if you have to.:coollep:

The Gates part # is T274

The NAPA (Gates belt) is part # 250274

(for the 1100cc motor)... If I am remembering right, that is what you have.

I went to Napa and picked up the timing belts for my '98 1500 se using the part number 250274. Now by this post, I'm not certain if this part for the 1100ccwill also work for my 1500. Can someone varify this for me? Thanks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Krazbob wrote:
I went to Napa and picked up the timing belts for my '98 1500 se using the part number 250274. Now by this post, I'm not certain if this part for the 1100ccwill also work for my 1500. Can someone varify this for me? Thanks.
Take 'em back, you need 25075 belts for the 1500.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

1100, 1200 teeth are a different profile, too! Your belts for 1500 are Germany, wheras the others are Mexico, If I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Krazbob wrote:
Take 'em back, you need 25075 belts for the 1500.
Well I now find I need the 250275 belts, so another question is ,,are both belts thesame number,, ? I looked onthe Gatesweb site, and they had a number for the left, and a different for the right.:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I used the same NAPA number for both. Post the Gates link and we can all take a look!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I used the same NAPA number for both. Post the Gates link and we can all take a look!
I looked at the Gates web site, and can't find the page I was looing at the other day. Must be a brain fart today:gunhead: Anyway, I'm sure glad:clapper: I looked into the forum today, that gives me the chance to tell the Honda dealer to put a hold on the install until I get the right ones to them.:goofygrin:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

gkiesel wrote:
What model do you have? The 1200's use NAPA timing belt 250070. Also the upper and lower radiator hoses can be fabricated by cutting NAPA hose 7733. I have read that a thermostate should be real honda due to a larger opening allowing more flow.
I just changed my belts and thermostat last weekend, the Napa 101 thermostat is identical to the Honda one in the size of the opening, and after putting a couple of hundred miles, no difference in temps. Btw, I paid $33 for both belts at Napa.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.