Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi folks,

I know that the right side cam pulley wants to wander about an inch when the belt is removed, and that you can use a wrench to hold it in place. If the pulley has to be turned back an inch, turning the bolt in the center of the pulley wont back the bolt out, will it? Just want to be sure.

Thanks,

Dave:?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

No..I have done that many times. It doesn't take much force to move the pulley with the bolt....

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Or you could do what I did and turn the pulley with your hand and then use the wrench to hold it in place. A little tiny bit of insurance against accidentally loosening the bolt. Otherwise, just re-torque it after everything is back in-place.

There's a really good write-up here
http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3544
with instructions to help with this issue.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

ditto to waht everyone says.... by right, you meant right as you look to the rear, which would be left, right?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

There's a trick from working on cars I plan to do when I change out my belts. Once I've got the belts ordered and new valve cover gaskets here I plan to adjust my valves at the same time so here's what I'll do.

1. Remove valve covers and loosen the cam tower bolts thereby releasing all tension on the valves.
2. drain and remove radiator so as to have easier access to timing belt components. Gonna replace rad hoses anyways.
3. Replace belts, check timing and tension, button it back up along with the radiator.
4. Re-torque cam towers and adjust valves, install new valve cover gaskets.
5. Ride it like I stole it!!!!

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
There's a trick from working on cars I plan to do when I change out my belts. Once I've got the belts ordered and new valve cover gaskets here I plan to adjust my valves at the same time so here's what I'll do.

1. Remove valve covers and loosen the cam tower bolts thereby releasing all tension on the valves.
2. drain and remove radiator so as to have easier access to timing belt components. Gonna replace rad hoses anyways.
3. Replace belts, check timing and tension, button it back up along with the radiator.
4. Re-torque cam towers and adjust valves, install new valve cover gaskets.
5. Ride it like I stole it!!!!
Question... I may be all wet here... and I don't have the covers off to look, but I thought that the "cam towers" alsocontained thebearing caps for the cam, in which case, loosening cam towers would allow the cam to moveoff-center and make tensioning impossible... I'll check on this.. (and edit it if I am all wet... but something to check on..)..Jim

Edit: Bearings are held by the "cam towers" but youcan accomplish the same thing by loosening the valve adjusters per the manual

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Thanks Jim, I hadn't read the manual yet on that phase. Really all you need to do is relieve the tension of the valve or valves that are actually under pressure. That could be just 1 or 2 at the most.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.