Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 841200I that the PO changed the belt on at 40K and the bike now has 63K, when should I expect to have to change the TB again. Bike is running fine with no problems at this time.

Thanks Ritchie

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

it depends....

when did the PO change the belts.... in other words, was it in 1988 (in which case you have 20 year old belts) or was it in 2000 (and they are only 8 years old)

you will never notice any problems with a belt until it breaks, then you will have bent valves (best case scenario) or holes in your pistons (worst case)

on the "olde-wings" most of us live by the mantra, when in doubt, replace them... a set of belts is only about $40 and a couple of hours of time for those with normal mechincal ability

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Rodger, I think that it was only a couple of years ago, but will have to check with the PO. He gave me a list of all the major and minor work that he did or had done on the old girl so she is in prety good shape for her age.

Thansk, Ritchie:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yea the last po told me he papmered it as did the original owner, I think I am #3 so this girl has not seen many owners.

Ritchie & Lyn :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

FWIW, I changed out the belts on my 83 that had been sitting in a field for ~6 years. The belts had 'Honda' stenciled on them, and they looked in fair shape except for a couple spots where the belt was a little chafed on the edge. 41k miles.

Personally I think 20k miles on timing belts is a bit early, but that's just me.

Hey, just pop the covers and have a look. Take the plugs out, spin the motor and check for wear.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Chris in VA, I will have to do that over the winter.

Ritchie & Lyn:waving:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.