Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am replacing my timing belts on my 82-1100. I rebuilt the carbs and the bike starts and runs. Not well because the carbs need synced. The bike still has the old belts on it and when I line up the mark on the crank, the left side cam mark is on and the right side mark looks off by 1 tooth. Should I put the new belts on just like the old ones? Or should I line up the right side on the mark? I hope the pictures turn out so you can see them. Let me know, thanks… Ray…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It looks like that is definitely off by one tooth. It is very easy for that to happen as the cam wants to spin because of the vave springs bearing against it. The tensioner also pulls on that side. After replacing the belts and adjusting the tension revolve the crank several revolutions by hand to make sure everything is and stays lined up.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That is a picture of the old belt still on the bike. I have not installed the new belts yet... Thanks

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

This is the best pic I could ge tof the crank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

This is the left mark.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Agreed with k1w1t1m, it's 1 tooth off for sure. Only to mention,once you've installedthe new belts on, even if you aligned the marks properly during installation, after a fewhand-made turns of thecrankit can happen that one mark is about half a tooth (or less)off while the others are ok. That is due to the belt's elasticity and shouldn't make any troubles aslong as it's not more than a half tooth off. However, the chaps from the forum claim that it can be set to exactly match the marks. So, it's up to you (In my case, I left it alone). You know that it's very important to turn the engine by hand afew revolutions after changing the belts, before trying to start it, to make sure everything is ok.

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

Yup it is a tooth off on the right side since you are changing the belts any way you might as well set it like it is suppose to be. and be careful not to get your belt tension to tight

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I'm thinking of installing the new belts with everytinng lined up. I'll make sure it turns over by hand with no interference before I try running it. If it does not seem quite right, I will move it one tooth off just like it is now and try it again. I just don't know if factory had it one tooth off when it was put together originally. I'm almost positive these are the belts from factory install. I believe I am only the third owner of this bike and I know the PO did no work to it. Thanks, Ray...

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Very unlikely that it's the factory that left it wrong installed. As your GLwas made '82. I hope the belts are not the factory ones! They should be changed every 5 years (or 20.000miles)! In the FAQ forum there is an excellent step-by-step tutorial of how to change the belts.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

This bike is new to me and the old belts have the original Honda writing/stamp on them. Thanks for your help, I need all I can get...:):):)

I'm wanting to get this done before I sync the carbs.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Every OEM timing belts will have Honda stamps on them. And you are right, change the belts before syncing the carbs.

Good luck!:waving:

P.S.

Had you alredy bought the new belts? If you buy them directly from Honda they will also have "Honda" stamps on them. Of course, this is not the case if they were made by some other producer as Gates etc.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Already have new belts. Gates...

One USA, one UK. The forum has already been round and roundabout this...:dude:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.