Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello i have a 1994 SE i just pulled the timing cover off to check the belts the belts look in vary good shape the tensioners look new.I bought the bike used from the Honda dealer my question should I replace the belts the bike is 15years old well i just thought I would ask the belt price is not a problem 30.00 a piece I just did not what to replace them if look in good shape but after thinking about its probably a good idea thanks any help Paul

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yes, you should change them.
Click the top link in my sig for a guide.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

And you can buy then at NAPA for $15

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ok Iam going to change them went and order them from napa. now i have the crank timing mark lined up the left cam lines up like it should but the right side looks like its off 1 or 1 half teeth should i turn that cam win the belt is off and line it up

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yes. You should move it back to align properly.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

I just got them from NAPA and the cost for each belt was $33.88. That's in Pittsburgh, Pa. They are made by GATES.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Hickey wrote:
I just got them from NAPA and the cost for each belt was $33.88. That's in Pittsburgh, Pa. They are made by GATES.

Hickey
At autozone they run $21 but are not gates.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I live in OHIO ordered from Napa i think it was 64.00 with tax they said they are made by Gates now I just have to wait till tomorow to pick them up thanks for all the replys Paul

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Look at the photo I posted in the thread in General Discussion under Timing belt age.

43K miles, 17 years of age on original Honda belts. I have a crack outlined in that picture!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

If you look on the Napa box it says that they are made by Gates.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
And you can buy then at NAPA for $15
uh... the prices have jumped...:rollingeyes: I just paid $32 each at the Napa dealer...

Here is the newNapa/Gateson the left and the "NOS" from my NOS engine I just installed.

The "Old" belts are a very odd shape when removed from the engine..

And these have no use at all on them!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

You should be able to get them to line up & adjust the belt as necessary to line up the marks. If your still left with 1/2 a tooth off don't worry about it. Then adjust the valves & check the timing.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

The price for Gl1000 & Gl1100 are different because they are different belts

Hickey

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

The price for Gl1000 & Gl1100 are different because they are different belts

Hickey

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Mission complete I was like a lot of people a little afraid it was pretty easy I think the hards part was getting the timing cove off. I would suggest if you do your belts after everything is lined set the tension .turn it by hand like others said to make sure every is right then start it with the cover off let it run a little and recheck the belt tension this may save you from taking the cover off again .I read on hear were another member had to that happen because the belt need to a little bit tighter well I had to that to thanks for all the replies Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.