Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, Forum, you have given me a whole lot of good advice as I enter the wonderful world of Goldwing. Thanks to all those who have helped - - -

My first Wing, pictured, after a whole lot of trying to figure it out, suffers from 'stator disease'. The new stator is in, and I figure as long as I have it torn apart, I might as well see how many things I can fix while I am 'in there'. Ripping out the terrible job of putting electricity to the sidecar is one job.

At first I couldn't figure out why I was able to drive 1,300 miles with a bad stator, and that made it difficult to conclude that the stator was, indeed, bad. Just for the record, based on my (admittedly) limited experience, the bikeseems to charge just fine with only 2 phases of the 3 phase alternator working. The other two, however, will overheat and cause intermittant shut-downs, until one of them also fails - - either by opening, or overheating a connection. Then you have exactly zero charge reaching the battery, and it will run until the battery gets too low, and then it will leave you walking.

I have pulled all the paintable surfaces - - - luggage compartments, tank cover, and fairing sub-panels. The fairing itself, even with the manual, is not an easy thing to remove.

I have checked brake pads (near new) calipers (10mm each) plan to change oil and coolant. Will also check the on-board compressor, have new fork seals, will put on a new rear tire - - - . What else? I also got a pair of new timing belts, and will get to them when I have the fairing and radiator pulled. So - - My question for you is this - - - -

Why do I have to line-up the timing marks to change the belts? I know, I know - - - they DO have to line-up, but it ran so well (when it ran) I am reluctant to mess with it. If I don't move anything when I remove the old belts, and put in the new ones, then it should line up just fine - - No? Or maybe it isn't as hard as I think to get the timing marks lined up - - With no battery or charging system, I can't 'bump' it to TDC. So do you do that manually, by getting a wrench on the drive-train, somehwere, and wrenching it into position?

Yeah, yeah. That has to be a 'newby' question, but I AM a newby, so a little patience, brother. 'Just line-up the marks, do it form there, and quit your whining' is a perfectly reasonable answer. 'Mark where you started and make sure that is where you are when you are done' will also work.

Thanks, Regards, Good riding.

CorpusKid

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If your bike runs well you can just replace the belts without using the timing marks. I've done it more than once. Use a marking pen to mark the position of the pulleys against the case. That way you can be sure you didn't move the pulleys while changing the belts. It's also a good idea because one or the other of the cam pulleys may move as the belt comes off due to spring loading of the rockers on the cam. If you've marked the position of the pulleys that's not a problem, just turn it back to where it belongs.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

You can pull the spark plugs and turn the center pully crank bolt to bring the timming mark in the window to the correct position/setting. Make sure the up marks are up on the pulleys, and the marks on the side of the pulleys with the case. This insures you have all your ducks in a row. The person that installed the belts before you may not have had them exactly right. This also gives you concrete reference if somthing goes amiss. You can do it the way you have mentioned like exavid says...... but you are trusting what someone else had done before you and may not be quite right.

Turn the center crankCLOCKWISE ONLYtill the pulleys are showing arrow up, check and see if the timming marks in the block window are aligned. If no timming marks are seen, turn the center nut another half turn and you should see the timming marks in the window in the block. after installing belts........ turn center crank bolt clockwise in order to rotate the engine acouple revolutions to be certain nothing is hitting in the engine and then replace the plugs. Fire that baby up.............

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I am doing the same to my goldwing thank for asking the question. My question is where is the T1 and T2 marks found? I also have a 1986 goldwing, I have the timing belt cover off, and am looking where to find where those marks are. I have both side covers off as will as air cleaner. Still digging sorry first post not how are if iam in the right spot to post.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Michael........ there is a black plastic cap with a straight slot on the engine in under the carbs, if you look in below the petcock on top of the lower engine block from the left side. Get a flashlight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.