Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

HI all

just looking for a bit of advice,I own a 1999 GL 1500 SE which according to the original owner has never had the timing belt(s) replaced.My wing has 156,000km///around 95,000miles...

has anyone ever replaced,or had replaced the timing belt(s)??????

If anyone has ever replaced the belt yourself,is it difficult,very easy.easy,any advice????????????thanks

Bill

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

I have a 90 SE with 68,000 miles and I replaced mine a couple of months ago. It had about 40,000 when I bought it 4 years ago and I really had no 'history' from previous owner. I would say the belts were probably originals? Nothing really difficult if you follow instructions posted elsewhere on this forum. I think it is especially critical to turn the motor over a couple of times by wrench on crank and check that timing marks stay in line. My tensioners were a little 'noisy/loose/suspicious' so I replaced them also. Several dollars but good insurance. Good Luck. :)

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the belts and installed a 4-degree trigger wheel on my wife's 1988 GL1500 trike last month. The bike only had 63,000 miles on it, but after 20 years, I just felt better changing the belts. I followed the instructions here on the forum and everything worked perfect.

On my previous 1990 GL1500SE, I changed the belts the first time at 105,000 miles and the second time at 200,000 miles. Belts looked good both times, but thought it best to get them out of there.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

outstanding advice as usual rudy. if you were a famer you'd be a man outstanding in your field :D. the job is easy and cheap enough to do yourself with the help on ref. and faq. very cheap peace of mind:action::waving:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.