Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i may be the proud owner of a 1985 honda gl1200 fuel injected honey. i am mechanically inclined, is there a forum on this site to help you go through changing the belts, and also checking the alternator output to make sure its good. those are my only worries about buying this bike. it has about 21,000 miles on it. thank you guys for any help you can give me

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts
you have already found it, this Technical Forum is where you need to believe.

Unlike some other forums, we do NOT have multiple forums dedicated to a single model of bike.
It is ridiculous, as nearly all engines suffer from the same exact symptoms, and the repairs are really pretty much the same.

A few wrinkles where one model has a unique part maybe, or the position that part is located it, but the symptoms are the same.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have already found it, this Technical Forum is where you need to believe.

Unlike some other forums, we do NOT have multiple forums dedicated to a single model of bike.
It is ridiculous, as nearly all engines suffer from the same exact symptoms, and the repairs are really pretty much the same.

A few wrinkles where one model has a unique part maybe, or the position that part is located it, but the symptoms are the same.
thank you john, but i was searching for a place where i can see step by step as to how to change the timing belts

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
As far as belt changing video's I haven't seen any.. However I'd check YouTube to see what is there and also a member might come along with a link.. It's not that hard to do with just the shop manual as that's what I used.. I recommend the Clymer..

The charging system is the only real weakness on a 1200 especially the Fuelie's due to the larger, 500 watt, charging system and the connectors are the weak link on that due to heat and age.. First, what does the voltmeter read that's on the right hand side? It should read about 14-14.2vdc. You can check the battery voltage also which will be a bit higher at about 14-14.3vdc..

Next take a look at the charging system connectors. There are 4 to look at for signs of getting hot and burning: the Stator connector located to the left of the battery accessible by removing the side cover. Next is the 2 regulator/rectifier connectors. To access these you'll have to remove the fake tank fairing and it's on the center left kinda buried a bit.. The manual can walk you through removing the tank fairing also.. The 4th connector is on the starter solenoid and has 4 wires. The 2 in the rear of the connector are the hot wire and the ground for energizing the solenoid for starting.. The 2 red-red/white wires in the front of the connector are the ones that will cause problems as they carry most of the amperage load for the system and will burn!!

I have the same bike and I had problems starting with the stator connector burning. I wound up removing all 4 connectors, soldering/heat shrink insulating 3 new 12 guage yellow wires at the stator and doing the same with the regulator/rectifier wires. At the starter solenoid I clipped the red-red/white wires and soldered them to a 30 amp inline fuse holder, bypassing the 30amp dogbone fuse, and crimping/soldering a round end connector for connection to the hot side of the solenoid...

That outta get you started... Anymore questions just ask and we'll try to help out!!

Oh... I almost forgot... Here's a parts list you might find usefull! The fuel pumps/filters are for the carb's 1200's as are a few other things but timing belts, hoses and such are good numbers!

Good Luck with her!!

GL1200 Goldwing Parts List

Oil Filters
Amsoil – SMF-101
Purolator – ML16809
Fram – CH6009
STP – SMO-09
K&N – KN401
WIX - 24940
NAPA – NAPA Gold 4940

Air Filter
K&N HA-8084

Radiator Cap
NAPA – 703-1443 rad cap: NAPA part no. 31333 $18.69
Stant – 10227 Stant GL1200 radiator cap is now 31333 rather than 10227. 07/03/27
Honda part no. 19045-MB0-013 $39.60

Thermostat (180 degree)
NAPA – 535080 possible new part number 33488
Stant – 45868
AutoZone – 15868
Honda Part No.19300-MG9-000

Radiator Hose: (Cut in half to make 2 hoses)
NAPA – 7733 (one piece; needs to be cut)
Gates – 21008
CarQuest - 21029 (made by Gates)
Gates 21488
Radiator hose - Dayco P/N: B70834
Sold at Advanced Auto Parts.
Honda Part No. 19501-431-000 (upper) Honda Part No.19502-MG9-000 (lower)

Spark Plugs
AC Delco - ACR121XLS
NGK Standard plug – DPR8EA-9 (gap .035)
NGK Iridium plug – DPR8EIX-9 (gap .035)

Fuel Filter

Napa 3011

Possible fuel pumps replacement, might need a little accommodating

1 85 Honda Prelude fuel pump
2 Airtex e8316 ( bought at Advanced)

3 Fuel Pump NAPA
Part Number: BK 6101051
Product Line: Balkamp
Attributes:
Fuel Pump Fitting Size : NPTF 1/8-27 Int.
Fuel Pump Fitting Type : NPTF 1/8-27 Int.
Fuel Pump Gallons Per Hour : 34 gph
Fuel Pump Pressure Rating : 3 - 4.5 psi
Manufacturer : Facet
Manufacturer Part Number : 40180
Warranty: 12 Months

About $54 in US

Timing Belts (2 each)
NAPA – 250070
Gates – 5043 or T070 (available thru most NAPA & CarQuest stores)
Goodyear - 40272
Dayco 95070

Battery (Gel Cell)
Deka PowerSport Gel – ETX18L (NAPA)
Odyssey Gel – PC680 or PC680MJ
YUASA - “YTX24HL-BS”, “Y50-N18L-A-CX”, “Y50-N18L-A”
WESTCO – 12V22 Sealed AGM

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
I recommend the Honda manual over the Clymer. Where is that hiding these days, John?

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Ignore all the lines that are through those bottom part numbers. I didn't put them there and couldn't edit them out! They are good numbers!!

Also 2 extra manuals you might wanna get is the Limited Edition Supplement manual and also the 1985 GL1200 Electrical Troubleshooting manual!! Try E-Bay.. You should be able to find them there!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts
Ignore all the lines that are through those bottom part numbers. I didn't put them there and couldn't edit them out! They are good numbers!!

Also 2 extra manuals you might wanna get is the Limited Edition Supplement manual and also the 1985 GL1200 Electrical Troubleshooting manual!! Try E-Bay.. You should be able to find them there!!
Roscoe,
I removed all of the Strike Through marks from that post.
IF, you were using a laptop, the Strike through, and Subscript controls are in the Editor's control panel, just to the right of the Italics button.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
I found this at YouTube about a timing belt change, not sure if I'm allowed to do this but here is a link

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts
Links are okay, even if they go to a hardly page, as long as, the topic is relevant.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Roscoe,
I removed all of the Strike Through marks from that post.
IF, you were using a laptop, the Strike through, and Subscript controls are in the Editor's control panel, just to the right of the Italics button.

Desktop John.... And I've not had this happen before.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts
dunno Don,
I have reported several fluky things that are occurring, for me, I am getting double posts, like trying to submit the same post twice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts