Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1985 goldwing limited edition 1200cc , 89000 miles. It has had the eng. Out for a new stater from the previous owner from who I bought it from. My self I would have replaced the belts if going to all that trouble.

My question is would you take the chance it was replaced or would you have new belts put on, all the shops around hear what 400.00 to 450.00 $ to do the job. Seems a bit step to me. Salem Oregon.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Any chance you have the ability and tools to do the job yourself? It's not that hard, but, if you mess up, the engine is toast.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Can you call the previous owner and ask if it was done? $45 and some work if you do yourself. Lots of tutorials showing how.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
531 Posts
Actually the price for replacing them is not really out of line. Most shops charge around $100/hr labor and they go by the flat rate book time.
A good tech can do it in less time. The fairing lowers need to come off and according to the book, the radiator needs removed.
It can be done just by pulling the bottom of the rad out of the way. In either case, the anti freeze will need replaced. though not hard, it is time consuming.
That plus the markup on parts from the dealer add to the cost.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
Just my 2 cents, if you don't know know and trust the guy that changed out those belts less than 50,000 miles ago personally, and if it was 50,000 miles ago change them out anyway.

You can get them from Amazon for about $30. It's not that hard if you already know righty tight and lefty loose, there are no special tools required and a plethora of how to videos on youtube.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Rock auto has them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your reply, am able to do simple maintaining like oil, filter break pads. But knowing that this is a critical must do right the first time I think it would be privy to have a professional do it. Better to pay 400.00 $ then a new bike. Thank you for all your advise. Have a great day..(y)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Just bought a 1985 goldwing limited edition 1200cc , 89000 miles. It has had the eng. Out for a new stater from the previous owner from who I bought it from. My self I would have replaced the belts if going to all that trouble.

My question is would you take the chance it was replaced or would you have new belts put on, all the shops around hear what 400.00 to 450.00 $ to do the job. Seems a bit step to me. Salem Oregon.
The Gates T070 belts are available at rockauto.com for about $6.50 each. First time I did my 85 LTD (used tutorial at Goldwingdocs.com, but I’m sure there are some on YouTube too) it took me about 5 hours. By the third time I did an LTD it only took me about two hours (up on a motorcycle lift - lots easier than a motorcycle jack). One warning - once it’s back together make sure you put the timing mark plug back in or you’ll have an oily mess when you start it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Remove the spark plugs first, then when done turn the motor over by hand at least 4 times to check for any noise of valve & piston interference. Four times lets you check timing marks alignment twice. Then, if no interference, as mentioned...reinstall the timing plug and all that was removed. You now should be safe to start it. If you forget that plug...and we all have done it at least once, you'll have a well oiled machine. ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thanks everyone for your reply, am able to do simple maintaining like oil, filter break pads. But knowing that this is a critical must do right the first time I think it would be privy to have a professional do it. Better to pay 400.00 $ then a new bike. Thank you for all your advise. Have a great day..(y)
It's wise to know your limitations. A coworker tried to save a buck changing the timing belt on his car. A handful of bent valves later and a pair of cylinder head rebuilds, I don't think he saved much. While not a difficult job, it is the kind that having someone look over your work is not a bad idea, if you have never done it before.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Gates T070 belts are available at rockauto.com for about $6.50 each. First time I did my 85 LTD (used tutorial at Goldwingdocs.com, but I’m sure there are some on YouTube too) it took me about 5 hours. By the third time I did an LTD it only took me about two hours (up on a motorcycle lift - lots easier than a motorcycle jack). One warning - once it’s back together make sure you put the timing mark plug back in or you’ll have an oily mess when you start it.
I left the plug out one time, will remember from now on. It was my 1985 LTD also.LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts