Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, I was sitting here thinking, why the hell do we use belts for timing? Belts break, and when they break, the engine blows up. How hard could it be to fit some 530 drive-line chain to properly sized sprockets on the drive-shaft and cam-shafts?

Has anyone ever thought about this?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I have thought about it.

I think the main problim would be keeping the chain tight and it would be NOISY!!

I also dont think you will find any sprokets to fit so some will have to be made. Also i think you would needto seal up the front timing covers and run the chains in a oil bath to get any kinda life out of them. So i forgot thinking about chains as in the end they do break also.

Pat

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Yes timing belts do break. However if you replace them according to the manufacturers recommendations you will not have any problems. Using chains involves a oiling system and tensionsers. The cost of a belt at the factory is a lot cheaper than installing the chain set up.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

OK I give up, let's do gears!!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

gears... and you think a chain is loud!

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
gears... and you think a chain is loud!
just tell people its the supercharger

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

yep a wankle with an oil tank instead of a trunk

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Heh, I like the word "Wankel"...it makes me giggle. Actually, I like the word "giggle", too. Dang, it MUST be late, and I MUST be too tired.

Jack

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

LOL you guys talk about the noise and all that with this post.. Hmm do like i do.. just turn the radio up loader... that fixes all the other noises.. lol

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Ahhh, the Wankel is the way to go....

Raymond

Does anyone remember the name of that rotory powered bike from the mid/late 70's ??? There was a dealer in town, but I don't think he ever sold a single one.

I recall CYCLE and CYCLE WORLD giving it a decent review, but with all the Z-1's and what-not it never caught on. Motor resembled a canister style vacume stuffed between two wheels. :gunhead:

These trips down memory lane have been awfully "FOGGY" lately...:?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
So, I was sitting here thinking, why the hell do we use belts for timing? Belts break, and when they break, the engine blows up. How hard could it be to fit some 530 drive-line chain to properly sized sprockets on the drive-shaft and cam-shafts?

Has anyone ever thought about this?
philcsand, long timing chains of the length required for the GoldWing would add a massive amount of moving mass, would require many power robbing idlers to contain the chains trend to whip at speed, would probably require a couple of hydraulic tensioners to keep the chains from self destructing, would need expensive roller chains (probably double row).. For years most 4 cylinder engines couldn't handle even short timing chains due to the uneven power pulses. With the advent of better chain materiel, hydraulic tensioner, premium idlers, special plastic guides,some of the later 4 cylinder engines now use timing chains. They are still a trouble spot & source of excess noise in some of the engines that use them.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam, Suzuki made the RE-7 Rotary in the 70's, Norton made a rotary in the early 80's and there was somebody else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.