Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing my timing belts, and the pulse key. Cant get the drive gear bold off. Is it a left-handed bolt? Any ideas of loosening it. I've even put an impact gun on it with no luck.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
What model you referring to,nothing needs to actually Come off. But one pg,just loosen the idlers and on 1500 one pg needs to rotate but the other needs to be taken off

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1500 GL. '89 version. I need to take it off because I am changing the pulse wheel to advance the timing.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It would be right handed,leave everthing together whike getting it off,tranny in first gear,impact wrench?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I still have the port belt on, and I did use a 3/8 impact gun. It was all I would fit in behind the front wheel. Even used a 3' breaker bar. No luck.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Yeah, I still have the port belt on, and I did use a 3/8 impact gun. It was all I would fit in behind the front wheel. Even used a 3' breaker bar. No luck.

Did you have a good strong battery on that impact tool...??? That is important...!!

We have never had one that couldn't be loosened with an impact tool...!!

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
When I come across a stubborn bolt/nut like that ..... I get my long handle on it support the the socket(helper) and then I whack the long handle with a 4X4 . The shock/impact normally will git r dun . Though I would have expected a full charged impact to take care of this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have a good strong battery on that impact tool...??? That is important...!!

We have never had one that couldn't be loosened with an impact tool...!!
I'm using a pneumatic 3/8" tool. It may not have enough torque. I cant get past the front wheel with the 1/2" gun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using a pneumatic 3/8" tool. It may not have enough torque. I cant get past the front wheel with the 1/2" gun.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have always had better results with a long bar and even steady pull than with an impact, especialy if the last person used loctite on the thread!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
In his first post, he asked about the rotation. I will word it better...
Should the bolt be turned "clockwise" or "counter-clockwise"?

Doesn't the 1500 rotate the opposite direction of the 4 cylinder models?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have been trying turning counterclockwise. I am concerned that it should be turned clockwise.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It’s right handed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s right handed.

Well, I figure that, but, what the heck, it wont loosen!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I gotta ask,why are you changing the degree wheel,I recall there was some king of stumble in the earlier 2500 but i thought that it had other fixeses ?
If you could get to it with one of the hammer impacts,it might work,what I have done on some difficult bolts on John Deere stuff is take a chisel and hammer to the nut,will ruin it but you need it off,just make a start on the nut and hammer on it in the direction it goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gotta ask,why are you changing the degree wheel,I recall there was some king of stumble in the earlier 2500 but i thought that it had other fixeses ?
If you could get to it with one of the hammer impacts,it might work,what I have done on some difficult bolts on John Deere stuff is take a chisel and hammer to the nut,will ruin it but you need it off,just make a start on the nut and hammer on it in the direction it goes.
I want to change that wheel because it stumbles right after 2000 RPM. All my reading pointed me toward having the timing a little bit more advanced which is what the pulse wheel does. But, as a part of this thread, I’ve heard some people that have told me that it’s not working that well

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Dave 430 would be the one to ask on that,you can pm him or he is on here every day so maybe he will drop by.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts