Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got laid off last Wednesday, I've been pittering around the house cleaning my truck out, (I worked out of it, Tools and such..), and started cleaning out my storage shed to store all my stuff from my truck. Got it done and after studying a bit I figured a new shelf was in order: Something 6'x6' made outta 2"x10" PT would work a Treat and be nice and sturdy!! So I went to the local Hardware store and picked up 3, 2"x10"x12'. Coming home I passed the local community center and saw some Bikers there with a yellow Harley parked by itself in some sand.. I went about another 100 yards before I realized the fool thing's rear end was buried up to the bottom of the bags!!!!! Long story short I turned around and drove up to where the owner, it turned out, was sitting and asked if the owner of the yellow Harley needed some 2"x10"s to roll the bike outta the sand trap!! The guy said "Sure Do!!" and I replied He could rent mine for $386.95!! Plus Tax!!!

Well we got the bike out and after he thanked me he told me him and his buddy was wondering just what he was gonna do when I pulled up!!
I got back to the house and built my shelf and are well on the way to getting my shed in order But, It just hit me.....

I didn't get my $386.95...…….

Plus Tax...…. 😧😧😧

·
Administrator
58,441 Posts
street tires and sand don't work so well.

I stuck my 94 in loose powdered sand once, while riding in the dark on a road that was supposed to be paved. then it just ended w/o warning at 40 mph, you go quite a ways on the surface of sand until you slow down to make a U-turn.

that turned into a two hour ordeal, I was lucky that I had an Army folding spade with me. dug out a short trench, jump forward a short bit, and do it all over again.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Summer '17 when Deb and I did our Michigan trip one of our destinations was the family cabin at Bear Lake in NW Lower Michigan (between Kalkaska and Traverse City). There's two "Bear Lake Rd" off the highway, E Bear Lake and W Bear Lake. It had been so many years since I last visited the cabin I of course took the wrong road. After two miles I realized this and started looking for a place to turn around, we went another 5 miles still without crossroad or intersection. I finally found a place with a really wide spot in the shoulder and proceeded to make a slow U-turn with the camper trailer attached.

I immediately discovered this wide shoulder was nothing but loose sand with a little grass growing on it (like everywhere else in that part of the state) and the bike immediately sunk, resulting in another "Unplanned Bank Angle Sensor Test". First attempts to get out of there only resulted in us being completely off the road and totally in sand. I wasn't going to get anywhere good with the camper still attached.

I can say with certainty that my Bank Angle Sensor is Good.

So I unhitched the trailer. By this time the bike wheels are pretty buried, but putting bike in 2nd gear for less torque and feathering the clutch Deb and I were finally able to walk it out of there by the handlebars.

With the bike back on pavement, we took the two ratchet tie-downs holding the pop-up canopy to the top of the trailer and strung them together, this made 30 feet long, one end on the bike trailer hitch and the other end on the trailer tongue, pulled the camper out of the sand that way.

We were pretty lucky that it wasn't a two hour ordeal, but it was a good 45 mins before we were all hitched back up, tied down and on the road again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts