Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Read my Clymers on tuneup and it said I needed a timeing sight glass to keep from spraying oil all over the engine.

Do I really need this glass and where do I get one?

Dwight
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

unsteadyrider wrote:
Read my Clymers on tuneup and it said I needed a timeing sight glass to keep from spraying oil all over the engine.

Do I really need this glass and where do I get one?

Dwight
What model do you have?

I do my timing statically without theengine running. Works fine.

If you really need the glass you might still be able to get one from Honda.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

1982 GL1100.

Ithink it was a plain jane new but has fairing and bags added.



I'll try the static aproach. Seems tricky though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
475 Posts
imported post

Static timing is straightforward. The timing glass involves draining out some oil to keep it from obscuring the sight glass, plus even so it's hard to see the marks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
620 Posts
imported post

Try cutting a small piece of clear plastic that will cover the hole and use some silicon to hold it in place let it sit up first when your done just remove and in stall the cap
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Guys!:waving:

I likie the idea of the plastic held with silicone. Could probally use heavy streach wrap also.

Still not ctear on the static way. I can see how to get bthe TDC by static. Did it all the time back in the hot rod days but how the 10 deg. advance?



$18.00 is a whole heck of alot to pay for such a small seldom used object. I'll try the plastic first. I remember seeing something of that lable also. About three weeks back or so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

unsteadyrider wrote:
Thanks Guys!:waving:

I likie the idea of the plastic held with silicone. Could probally use heavy streach wrap also.

Still not ctear on the static way. I can see how to get bthe TDC by static. Did it all the time back in the hot rod days but how the 10 deg. advance?



$18.00 is a whole heck of alot to pay for such a small seldom used object. I'll try the plastic first. I remember seeing something of that lable also. About three weeks back or so.
There's a timing cover on top of the engine about 1" in diameter with a screw slot. You rotate the engine to the 1-F mark and turn the timing plate until you see a change in resistance.

Your shop manual should have the procedure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

axelwik wrote:
There's a timing cover on top of the engine about 1" in diameter with a screw slot. You rotate the engine to the 1-F mark and turn the timing plate until you see a change in resistance.

Your shop manual should have the procedure.
Thanks Marco! I think I can do that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
612 Posts
imported post

Don't use shrink wrap for this, it will likely just get suckled into the engine. Use a small pice of glass or hard clear plastic instead.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
Don't use shrink wrap for this, it will likely just get suckled into the engine. Use a small pice of glass or hard clear plastic instead.
Yea. Think you could be right. I was thinking of it blownig more than sucking.

Thanks Eamonn
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4 Posts
imported post

Just made a platic (plexiglass) cover for my 84 gl1200 last week. I used two sockets to measure the hole size (smaller)and the the plug depression size (larger). Cut the pieces and super glued them together. Worked great. I think the one piece with a bit of silicne will work great also.

The oil will leak out if you run the engine withouta cover. Watched it in action. Just a little messy.

I also noticed that at a normal oil level the oil builds up in the glass making it very difficult to see through it.



:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks nukwinger.

That sounds like a good idea. Tap plastic (local plastic store) has round pieces as well as flat. A tube piece glued to a flat piece should work well.

Saw a couple of the sight glasses on ebay lately. The first one started at $10 and finnished over $50. The second encourged by the first has a start of $40. Third or fourth day into the auction and still no bids. Greed turns most people off.



Good rideing
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top