Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1981 GL1100
When I re-installed the engine, I must have rotated it so the CDI is out of phase.
I do know that the timing belts are set properly, that I have spark and that I have fuel. (I have already spent a week on this %^&^%)
My Clymer just doesn't give me any information.
I assume that i must remove the rear wheel to get to the CDI unit. Can I pull it, and rotate it without removing the engine.
Any suggestions as what to look for etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, lew

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:waving: hi lew

the best manual for what you wish to know is the honda shop manaul. covers 80 though 83 goldwings. pricey--but worth it.

the shaft is a 2 peice a fair. one you can check with out pulling the back cover and one when you pull it. needless to say ,engine has to be out to check the every thing out right. just looked and there isn`t enough room between the swingarm cross peice and the engine . even with the rear tire and fender stuff removed.wayne.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I am really lost here. the Clymer says that the unit can only be installed one way. is it possible that the shaft is 180 out. because i have gas and spark, the only thing that it could be is the timing of the spark. Like I say I am at a loss. And---IU really don't want to pull that engine again if I don't have to. Thanks, lew

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Lew, I don't see how the Pulse Generator could be assembled and locked into place 180 degrees out of phase. However here are two things I have seen happenthat caused the symptoms you are describing.

1) The dowel pin was left out during reassembly. This allows the Pulse Generator to spin aroundloose, you never know when or if it will fire.Dowel pin is about 1/8" diameter and 5/16" long. See pic.

2) The yellow and blue wires are reversed on the coils. This causes the coils to fire 180 degrees out. Try swapping these wires and see if it starts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks JackJon, I never removed the CPI unit from the back plate. Is it possible for that pin to fall out form the front of the back plate? Thanks, Lew

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I somehow managed to do something similar to my 1100. When I tried to start it she simply backfired.

My solution was to swap over the feeds to the ignition colis and problem solved!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:waving:GEEEEEEEES--- I HOPE THATS IT!!!!! i had a pin fall out on me. didnt catch it untill i tryed to fire it up. the miss wireing well do it too. heres hopeing. wayne.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Lew, the Honda manual shows the Pulse Generator being removed before the Engine Rear Cover can be removed.Using the terms in the picture, what was disassembled and what was left untouched.

Have you tried swapping the Blue and Yellow wires on the coils yet?

Ifyou have a timing light (induction style pick-up is easiest to use) your manual should show you how to check the ignition timing. (Not to be confused with the valve timing) Clip onto either plug wire 1 or 2 and the light should fire at the F1 mark, if you clip on plug wire 3 or 4 the light should fire at the F2 mark. Please understand that the ignition timing on the GW engine is not adjustable like an automobile engine. If the timing is off then something is amiss that will have to be found and corrected.

I am sorry this looks like the shotgun effect but until we separate the things that currently work from those that do not, it's all guessing.This problem is not insurmountable, and with your hands and eyes and the people on the forum helping, the problem will be solved and we will all learn something new.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Greetings Graham, i wsitched the coil wiare and it worked great for about two minutes. Then ran poorly then died. I swithced the wired back and it ran poorly for a couple of minutes.
Now I fear that the CPI unit is 'floating.' The big (very big) quesiton is can I slove the problem without pulling the engine. Thanks for the input, Lew

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wayne, if I left a in out, and the CPI unit is floating, how did you solve the problem/ Thanks, Lew

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Jack, I ask(and answered) a couple of questions with other postings. With those, I think that I answered your questions. Geeze, I really, really don't want to pull that enigne again. Thanks for your help, Lew

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:waving:remove engine.

remove c d i unit (three bolts, long ones,on out side edge). remove bolt holding mech. adv.--,adv. unit should have a pin in the shaft that it is keyed to. if so try and turn shaft. if you can turn it right to left or viceaversa the inner shaft pin is missing. there should be NO right or left movement. unless your turning the engine. if you would go back to some of the previse posts. you should be able to get what i`m trying to say to you. keep us posted. wayne.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:waving: CHECK OUT BOTTONBOYS POST!!!! if you have the space. it`ll save a buck a two. wayne

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Lew wrote:
Greetings Graham, i wsitched the coil wiare and it worked great for about two minutes. Then ran poorly then died. I swithced the wired back and it ran poorly for a couple of minutes.
Now I fear that the CPI unit is 'floating.' The big (very big) quesiton is can I slove the problem without pulling the engine. Thanks for the input, Lew
Great and Oh! :(

I have been told by a friend it is "just" possible to fix it with the engine in. To be honest, I think it would be just as quick to pull the engine.

Before you do though, I would have a good check of absolutely everything. If the engine ran good for a couple of minutes that's quite a time foranything to be "floating".

My other thought is to leave it to cool right down and then try to restart it. It might be running well because it was cold.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Hey Lew. I had the identical problem several months ago. In reassembling the engine I forgot to put the pin back in the CPI Unit. I had already had the engine out twice and look and prayed for another way. You can get to it from the rear. You have to remove the wheel, pumpkin, final drive, shocks, and the gas tank and anything else tied to these parts. Once there you are pretty much removing the CPI by feelmore than and trying to put the pin if you can find the hole. Please don't ask how I know. REMOVE the engine. Just take every thing loose from the engine, then slide it out just enought to get to the CPI then slide it back in. The job took more time to decide to put the engine than to actually do the job. You've come this far, whats 4 more hours. Good luck.

~teacher~~~

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Greetings Teacher, You told me what I figured was the solution. (I just did not want to admit it) Pull the engine again.
What concerns me now, is where is that missing pin??? Is it possible that the pin is still in there?
You are right about wasting time. I have already spent a week messing with this problem. Thanks, Lew

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Lew wrote:
Greetings Teacher, You told me what I figured was the solution. (I just did not want to admit it) Pull the engine again.
What concerns me now, is where is that missing pin??? Is it possible that the pin is still in there?
You are right about wasting time. I have already spent a week messing with this problem. Thanks, Lew
In my particular case I just forgot to put it back in Lew. However that pin goes in at an angle and I don't think it can just come out. You don't have to go back in with the orginal pin a drill bit of the same diameter will work just fine.

~teacher~~~

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Greetings Jack, I downloaded the Goldwing manual but now I can't get it to open.. Is there any secret ??
By the way, that is one beautiful GL1100 you have there!!! Thanks, Lew

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Greetings Teacher, I looked and could not find that pin on the floor. Is this somethng that would lay inside the CPI unit. I ask because if I lost it, I should order one now.
Oh---I started pulling ---again---the engine this morning. Thanks, Lew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.