Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just brought thisbike a1980 Goldwing with a 1982 engine. The bike Idle at 950 real nice. At Idle I hit throttle it seem doggy and don't sound right like the timing is off. If I let the clutch to fast or a little hard sometime it will knock or ping like the timing is off. When the RPM get around 2500 to3000 RPM it run great and sound real good. The guy I brought the bike from put in new timing belts and rebuild the carbs and synchroice them. I took it to my mechanic and recheck the timing belts and the carbs and resnchroice them and he put in new spark plugs. It run about the same. I ran the bike about 150 miles and pull out the plugs and they are burning nice andclean. He told me that these older Goldwing run like this if so it something I have to get used of then:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I can assure you your mechanic is wrong, these bikes aren't doggy, if he'd set it up right. Sounds to me like the ignition timing is too advanced or you have an overly lean mixture from the carb(s). That's the most common cause of pinging. It would also cause hesitation and low initial torque until you have enough rpms up for the advance to match the engine speed and the main jets fully in the circuit.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

I would have to agree wiff exa..... i have had a few differnt bikes in my life.. and the wing i got now *a 1981 wing 1100 interstate* is far from doggie.. yea best be hanging on when you twist the throtle or you will be picking yourself up off the ground.... the bike i got has around 76000 miles on it and still has big snap when you jump on it.. hehe.. wonder how many more miles i can get outta her.. lol

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

darbike wrote:
I just brought thisbike a1980 Goldwing with a 1982 engine. The bike Idle at 950 real nice. At Idle I hit throttle it seem doggy and don't sound right like the timing is off. If I let the clutch to fast or a little hard sometime it will knock or ping like the timing is off. When the RPM get around 2500 to3000 RPM it run great and sound real good. The guy I brought the bike from put in new timing belts and rebuild the carbs and synchroice them. I took it to my mechanic and recheck the timing belts and the carbs and resnchroice them and he put in new spark plugs. It run about the same. I ran the bike about 150 miles and pull out the plugs and they are burning nice andclean. He told me that these older Goldwing run like this if so it something I have to get used of then:?
darbike, I'm not saying that the timing couldn't be off a little but by far the biggest reason that a bike acts like yours isacting is a lean carb (or carbs).

Try richening your pilot jet needles a little. You might even remove the pilot jet needles & clean the idle & pilot channels with a spray type carb cleaner. Once cleaned out then do a properidle drop pilot needle adjustment.

A lean (or partially plugged) pilot jet system could easily cause a problem like you are experiencing.

As a quick test, try running with the enrichener (choke) partially back on, if that effects or removes the stumble & cackling you know you are fighting a lean condition.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

This is what I 'm thinging too. That the ignition timing is off at low RPM. I don't know much about motorcycle so i'm going to pick up a repair manual for this bike and see what I can come with. Thank you for your help

Darwin

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'm going to have to pick a repair manual and learn how to fix it myself . Thank you

Darwin

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

twisty wrote:
darbike wrote:
darbike, I'm not saying that the timing couldn't be off a little but by far the biggest reason that a bike acts like yours isacting is a lean carb (or carbs).

Try richening your pilot jet needles a little. You might even remove the pilot jet needles & clean the idle & pilot channels with a spray type carb cleaner. Once cleaned out then do a properidle drop pilot needle adjustment.

A lean (or partially plugged) pilot jet system could easily cause a problem like you are experiencing.

As a quick test, try running with the enrichener (choke) partially back on, if that effects or removes the stumble & cackling you know you are fighting a lean condition.

Twisty
But when the choke is on the RPM go up. ButI will try that and see if that help me. Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.