Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm trying to determine if the timing belts already on my '83 GL110 are on right. I cannot find any kind of mark on the crank bolt area.
What, specifically, am I looking for, and do I need to remove the radiator to see it?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

There's a round cover with a large screwdriver slot just below the rear of the carbs, top of the engine, left of center. It's about an inch in diameter. Take that cover off and you'll see a flywheel.

On that flywheel there are marks for top dead center. Rotate the engine until the 1-T mark is centered in the hole (there's also a 2-T mark). The camshaft pulleys should have the word UP on them and arrows pointing straight outboard, towardsome small raised surfacesmolded into the belt housing (straight to the side... 3 and 9 o'clock positions). If they are 180 degrees off, turn the engine another 360 degrees until the 1-T mark is again centered and the arrows on the cam pulleys point straight out.

When you change the belts the #1 and 3 camshaft (right side as you're sitting on the bike)will want to rotate because of cam lobe spring pressure. An extra hand is useful here.

Check for smooth rotation of the cam belt tensioners.

After changing the belts, carefully rotate the engine by hand a few times and re-check the valve timing. Correct belt tension is achieved by the spring tension on the tensioner wheels. Re-check after rotating the engine by hand.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Marco is right on with his tips.

When I did mine, with marco on the speaker phone:clapper:, I put a socket on the crankbolt, and ziptied it to the frame. This kept the crank from turning off the T1 mark.

Good luck...:waving:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.