Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

BEFORE!!! putting the springs back in..put the caps on..turn the caps to the point where the threads catch and mark that point with a marker. Now insert the springs, pour in the oil. Place the caps on the tubes just short of the marks you've made. Now when you start to turn the caps under pressure they will catch immediately and you will have less time applying pressure while trying to turn the caps trying to get them to catch the threads.

It's the little things that make life easier.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

how true!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

As stated above...this works!!!!!!

I still had to have the homemade spring tool to help compress the progressive springs in....but I used this tip about marking the caps and it really helped with getting the caps on properly.

Thanks RB.....:applause:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

I don't understand why you want to install a CPA on you forks...

Accountants are really best left in the office.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

Another way to find that point, turn the caps BACKWARDS while pressing lightly. You'll feel a little "click" when the threads are at the starting point.

Mark and proceed as listed.

J-

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

The next time you have the caps off for a fluid change, drill and tap them to accept a 1/8" pipe plug. Now you candrain out the fluid normally, and add fresh with a squeeze bottle and aquarium hose with-out removing the caps any more... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Much like Shooter, I too avoid removing the caps if it's only for a fluid change. But the way I do it is with a mite-vac.

I release the air in the tubes first, then drain the old fluid. Pumping the forks to squeeze out as much as I can. I then close off one drain plug. Attatch clean tubing to the open drain and drop the other end of the tubing into a measured amount of new fluid. I then connect my mite-vac to the schrader valve up topand use it to draw a vacuum. The fluid gets sucked up like a straw! Cap the drain when all fluid is drawn up then repeat the process with the other fork tube.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

Old School, that is a very neat trick. :applause::applause::applause: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

I'd like to lay claim to the idea, but it's a trick I learned here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.