Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back a long way from home my driveshaft decided to have no more splines in the back. Once I got it towed home I put in a spare I had and the cup it mates to. Now I'm going to moly lube those splines as well as the splines inside the pumpkin every tire change. So I just put on a new tire and did the lubing. The Climer manual says to put the shaft into the final drive and shove the shaft down the swing arm to match into the u-joint up front. Yeah, like that's going to work. Looking down the tube I could see the u-joint flopped down with no intention of mating up with anything - let alone my driveshaft. I didn't want to take off bunches of stuff to get to the u-joint through the bellows up front so I came up with this:
I pushed a length of 1"x3/16" steel down the tube to the side of the u-joint then worked it under the joint. This lifted it a bit but not quite enough. So I pushed in a 3/8" piece of steel rod under the flat steel as a spacer. This put the joint horizontal. I put the shaft in the swing arm first then put the final drive onto it a slight wiggle matched up the splines. A nasty job made simple.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,361 Posts
Good plan. I wrap a couple turns of masking tape around the u-joint to hold it stiff then just let it sling off, it won't hurt anything in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
I used a piece of pvc split down the middle,lay the DS in it and slide the whole thing down the swingarm .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Now you post all these good tips. I tried to get that shaft back in for half an hour. Finally took someone's advice and just walked away to cool off for an hour. Came back and slid it right in first try.
 

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
Joined
·
3,336 Posts
Now you post all these good tips. I tried to get that shaft back in for half an hour. Finally took someone's advice and just walked away to cool off for an hour. Came back and slid it right in first try.
When I took mine out to lube the splines, I removed the lower shock bolts on both sides. This leaves the swingarm able to move up and down freely. When reinstalling the final drive, I raised up the swingarm and put a short piece of wood (I used a 1x4 that was in the shop.) across the mufflers and under the swingarm to hold it up in place. Then when I pushed the final drive and drive shaft in toward the u-joint, I put the flange gear back in the drive and turned it back and forth slightly and it slipped right in place. Took maybe 5 seconds to go in. I was surprised it went in so easily. My buddy who was there helping me tried it on his the next time he lubed his splines and had the exact same results.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top