Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a line on a Windjammer IV (I think-its the first model with the turn signals in the fairing and not on stalks). It is supposedly complete with brackets, wiring harness, etc.

Anyone have any tips for mounting it?

Thanks,

:waving:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Been there. Thanks, though. Its interesting to see the history of that company. I guess I hadnt realized when they left the scene... It just seemed like they were gone.

I got a kick out of the police shield they tried to develop.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Ubarw

:dude: I mounted the Windjammer on my 83 GL Standard. Two things. You need to remove the turn signals and the small post that are attached to the forks so it will clear. The post are underneath the two chrome ears that also hold the headlight bucket on. You can either A, take the forks apart, remove the two ears, and reinstall, or buy used ears and save the old ones. B, hacksaw the ears off and be done with it. I hacksawed mine off, but now, I'm trying to sell the bike and may need to buy the new ears.

Next, the headlight lamp needs to be removed and the bucket covered with a rubber cover. If you type in Vetter for searching on E bay you should be able to find one. Make sure you get the right size. I then used tape to seal it and keep it from coming off.

Go to the Vetter web sight and download the install guide. It has the wire harness connections, what goes to what. If not, I can send you a copy. Vetter recommends attaching all the wires to the main harness, but I just wired it to the headlight plugs. Since you can put a cyclesound on the bike, you may wish to run the extra wires and then tape them off for later use.

The bracketwill attach with hose clamps, but make sure you get it straight, and not one side lower than the other. I put some thin installation tape on the two rails, then used philips screws and locking nuts with washers to bolt the fairing to the rails. You may wish to get a friend to help you since the fairing is awkward and hard to install with just one person. However, it can be done, I've become an expert.

If you need a windshield, check with JC Whitney. They sell a new windshield with vents cheaper than anyone.

The fairing works great, and I have the saddle bags and trunk to go along with it. If you have any other questions let me know. :1000darkblue::11red:

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.