Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Our their any tricks/tips out their I could use on changing the front tire on my 94 1500,ya never know until you ask.

I'm gonna tear into it today.

Thanks

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Your manual gives a pretty good description, take your time & don't over tighten anything. :action::action:

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

If you gotta break the bead yourself...... I had to resort to a 4x4 for a lever. My 1200 bead was extremely tough to break and a 2x4 broke before the bead did. Bring the tire in the house to warm up overnight prior if it is cold. The tire itself does not just roll on to the rim like you see some on the internet. Soapy water and small bites will get the job done. DO NOT use screw drivers for tire irons...... you will take great risk in cutting or tearing the bead with screw drivers. The bigger the tire spades you can get the better, a short flat 10" whimpy iron is no match for a goldwing tire.

Good luck to you, you'll "get'er done".

Oh yeah......... the little wood blocks inserted on the opposite side of the tire to help keep the bead down affords more play getting the last 1/4 of the tire over the rim........they are a good thing.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies,I know a few tricks like you mentioned on the blocks of wood to keep the tire in the center(valley) of the rim,I have all the works to change it (Harber Freight Motorcycle Changer,rue-glide,Tire Irons,Wheel weights,etc.) as I have change several for myself,but what concerned me the most was I never have changed one on a goldwing,I didn't know if they were any different,any thing I need to be careful of,I know the brakes are worrying me,I have new pads to put on,but I am told one works part of the time with the rear brake,do I need to gauge them or do anything different?
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well no suprises,only difference I seen in the brake system was the right pads were a little thinner than the left ones,the right ones must be the ones that work when the rear brakes are applied.
I did find a loose ground wire which is what I was hoping to find,now the ring of fire will stay on all the time.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The right pads(throttle side) are the ones run directly off of the front brake lever. Mine are worn 2xmore than the linked(clutch) side. Just changed them out last week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.