Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all..

What do ya'll think of a TIR3 light installed where the rear reflector mounts and tied into the brake light? I saw this once and it worked perfect...low enough not to blind anyone (that i could tell) Saw this done, and it fits almost perfectly in the reflector position. He removed the reflector, fed the wires through the screw hole and used the two self tapping screws to secure it..lokks like it was made for the goldwing. Simple ground and hot wire into brake light in rear. He set the flash to standard flash pattern and looks just like any other flash pattern on other units. Only thing different is that it continues to flash as long as brakes are applied. I have not seen anything in regards to this being illegal in any code information. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Nope...here is a youtube link of what the light looks like. I will post a picture of it later installed on the bike. The flash can be changed to I think seven different patterns. He (wisely) chose the default standard on-off pattern that looks typical of a standard brake flash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyGYxyaxjpk

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

I have added the spoiler with the third brakelight on

1800. My personal opinion is the more lights you have to keep someone from running over you the better! :cooldevil:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

OHHHHHHHHHH, I like that, where can we find it?

·
Premium Member
92 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ebay has them..I will check where he bought his. runs about $57.00 + shipping! OR just google tir3 and you will run across them being sold by a number of vendors.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Not sure how to do this..but have several pics i can upload...have had to modify to fit...may take several posts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Here is one for $58.50 on ebay shipping included! The picture does not do it justice! It looks like it was built on the bike from the manufacturer! He installed a toggle switch in-line just in case smokey says to bright. He's had it a year with no complaints! If you install this on yours...post some pics too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Whelen-TIR3-LED-Safety-Flush-Mount-Emergency-Light_W0QQitemZ120360835463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Security_Fire_Protection?hash=item120360835463&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

The only reason for my comment is the question was asked if anything is illegal about this. I would not make anything out of this, it is just good to know.

Did you know that all rear brake modulators and lights like this actually are illegal?
The front headlight modulators are legal, but the rear ones are not.

Yes I have rear brake modulators on my bike, and a spoiler. A lot of the police bikes also run the rear modulators, and or lights like this. So they are illegal just like the rest of us.

But if you are curious look up the legality of rear flashing lights. They do not fall under the same law as the headlight modulator.

Having said this, I have never ever heard of anyone being stopped or ticketed for the use of these devices.

Curious though the law has never been changed.

Kit

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

This actually was my attempt for another option to what others offer...and cheaper too! Hey I would rather deal with a cop about it than get rear ended and killed. Also MSF classes even advise tapping the brakes over and over to make sure people behind you know you are stopping. I'm sure you are correct...but you see modulated brake lights everywhere...cars,trucks...everything.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

Whelen's website says it can not be used as brake light or turn indicator light right below the product.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Whatever! ;)

By the way, I sent them an email requesting information on them stating that on their website. As Kit stated above.. (all modulators) are illegal technically by law. So what would make this one any different. I think they are just stating what Kit has already said about any of them.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
imported post

I don't care. I had a rear brake light flasher on my bike, and it was very obvious that traffic behind you noticed when you were slowing down. I would hit the rear brake, count to 5 and let off, mash it again. Do that cycle 3 times and then just hold the rear brake on until stopped.

If stopped and no one behind me, I watched the mirrors. Traffic coming, I started that brake light to flashing all over again.

I never once had a cop say anything about it, and there are a bunch of them on the routes I traveled.

I have also noticed a lot of bikes in this county with brake light modulators.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I thought the law was it could modulate 3 times but then had to stay on consistant. I had the Kury BTR on my Shadow and never had a problem from the Law.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I liked the tir3 because it has EVERTHING built in already. Two wire connection..1 wire to brake hot, 2nd wire to ground, done. If the law is according to what Kit states, any would be illegal. So I would prefer it to flash as long as I am braking, that way I don.t have to re-apply if no one was behind me when first applied and someone is approaching fast from the rear. I don't have to let go the brake to re-engage the modulator to get the flash. Just makes since to me.:baffled:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.