Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

has anyone ever used nitrogen in their bike tires to help maintain more accurate pressure? does it work?

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

I did it once because I had the nitrogen free to use but didn't see it made any difference. We put nitrogen in all the new cars but they all still need the pressure topped off when they come in for service. I wouldn't spend money on it for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Nothing can live in a pure Nitrogen environment.
Good for keeping the mice and mold out of the tires LOL

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The whole thing with nitrogen is that it's at a minimum 98.9% dry air, or something like that. The watr in normal air is what expands and contracts under different temperature swings. Scuba air will do the same (which is what I use) or any air tank with good driers or separators would work almost as well.

But really, from the drivers seat, I can't tell the difference....

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

...I run nitrogen in mine, mainly because I have 2 tanks of left over from my hydraulic days. That was the original reason. Not a dimes worth of difference in rider experience. But, man-o-man, you wouldn't believe how clean the rims are upon dis-assembly, and the steel bands that hold my tire pressure sensors, were always lined with white fuzz using normal atmosphere air. Now, they and the sensors come out spotless clean. The steel band, against aluminum, and any moisture, and the presence of oxygen, are the problem. I'm sold on nitrogen, but not because it "changes pressure less, or leaks less". Not so. And the white crud that's almost caked up in bead area. None at all. Amazing !! Would I buy a tank of nitrogen if I run out?? Probably not, since my SS is shrinking, and my tanks are both expired. $100.00 to re-certify that baby, and 40.00 to re-certify my small tank. NOT!!

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

In theory pure Nitrogen should work better than regular air in tires, as it is totally inert and has no pressure/temperature relationship, meaningthe pressureyou put in is what you got, period, no matter how hot the tire gets.

In reality air is 80% Nitrogen and in our application as GW riders that 20% has just about no consequence whatsoever on tire pressure......... Now if you where an Indy Car driver......???

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Its nice to see the differences in nitrogen and regular compressed air talked about. I knew that it has been used in tires, but didn't entirely know why. Thanks guys. That being said, I won't use it because there's not many places other than tire shops that offer it. You can't get it at your local gas station.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, I've always used a 78% nitrogen mix in all my pneumatic tires. It's a lot cheaper than the100% nitrogen and nearly as good.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Nothing can live in a pure Nitrogen environment.
Good for keeping the mice and mold out of the tires LOL
Maybe it'll kill them tar snakes! At least them tar snake eggs won't last in it.

I knew I was forgeting to do something to the bike before running the Snake this afternoon. Have to put some in tomorrow before doing the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Good One,dont waste your money unless I can have it

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
 In theory pure Nitrogen should work better than regular air in tires, as it is totally inert and has no pressure/temperature relationship, meaning the pressure you put in is what you got, period, no matter how hot the tire gets.

That information is excellent, thanks.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Here is a link that answers many of the questions about Nitrogen.

http://www.griffintoolsandsupply.com/N2_files/whynitrogen.htm

Most passenger vehicles and motorcycles need about 95% Nitrogen to get the full benefits, large truck tires with higher pressure need about 98%. One statement I noticed that is wrong is that Nitrogen is not effected by temperature, Nitrogen reacts the same as regular air when it comes to temperature. In most cases the reason you see fewer TPMS issues with Nitrogen is the maisture is removed and also the tires do not leak as much so they are closer to the correct pressure.

·
1,211 Posts
imported post

Yeah Ok, I read yoursales blurband I'llgo along with you to an extent, thatmuch like any other element, Nitrogen does have a pressure/temperature relationship and yes, it is in that respect very similar to air, which is actually a compound and not an element and I also agree that dry Nitrogen has a very low hygroscopic value and the absence of moisture willmake parts last somewhat longer but apart from that I have nothing futher to say, except this.

Nitrogens P/T curve is extremely shallow at the pressures and temperatures that we as GW riders will ever experience, muchmore shallowthan that of air, look it up it's available on the internet and then go and ask a million refigeration techs why they want to use Nitrogen to leak test equipment instead of air and believeme the answers you'll get are not all about Oxygens reaction with oil orHydrogens moisture content, most of your answers will be about howNitrogens pressure will not change, whatever the temperature change.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

great info on this subject. we have some racers that come in my shop and they claim it doesnt leak out, and the pressure stays the same no matter what temperature the tire is. ive just never heard of anyone using it in a bike tire. sounds as though it may be a pretty good idea. i can get both tires filled for about 5 bucks. i may try it next summer...the price is sure right.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Since I sell the systems I have had access to a lot of information and there are numerous scientific studies that show it works. I think one of the best articles is the one written by Bridgestone. For motorcycle riders it is probably more of a personal choice. Couple of simple points: tires filled with Nitrogen run cooler and tend to last longer. I don't think you will see any significant improvement in mileage.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Sorry to disappoint those who think nitrogen is the "be all/end all" tire problems. I've been running it for 2 seasons along with my Smartire system, (the best tpms) and there's absolutely no difference in total temperature, nor any difference in pressure increase. The p/t relationship is the same, or at least the difference is un-detectable. It acts just like "atmosphere" air. (The following is for rear tire only). On a 70º morning the pressure will be 45 psi, by late 95º afternoon, it'll be up towards 56 psi, so it indeed increases. Tire temp 70º in morn., by late 95 degree afternoon it's 160º+, riding dbbl. The only advantage I can see is - it's drier, and with lack of oxygen, the wheels come out cleaner. Not that big a deal to clean up the wheel upon tire change. The front does the same thing, but to a lesser degree. Total temp about 130, total psi, about 45.

Oh, btw, it leaks just like "atmosphere" air. I still have to add "air" on a regular basis, front and rear. I see no difference in that arena.

Another btw. Tire wear decrease ? I got about 7k miles on my last rear. Nitrogen doesn't make a bit of difference in tire wear, after going thru 4 sets on rear, 3 sets on front, running nitrogen.

Another advantage of nitrogen is claimed. The tire material lasts longer. That is true to some degree, but only on the inside. Because of lack of oxygen. But; a question. Who keeps a moto tire for 50 years? I'm lucky to get 3 months from the rear.

I'm just using up the nitrogen I have, so I can get the bottles converted to CO2 for my welder. Again, I am impressed how clean the wheels are on the inside.
The hype continues. :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I just had to put in my 2cents worth.Pure nitrogen in tires is a gimmick, plain and simple. Just something else to make money on. I think they used to be called "Snake Oil Salesman" and travel around selling "cures" for everything. Just like weight loss in a bottle, pill, etc. will work longtermwithout doing anything else like proper diet, exercise.

Here is the chart for what makes up the "air" we breathe and put in tires (unless filtered).

[align=left]Gas Content of the Atmosphere
Gas Percent Composition[/align]
[align=left]Nitrogen (N[suB]2[/suB]) 78.080

Oxygen (O[suB]2[/suB]) 20.946

Argon (Ar) 0.934

Carbon Dioxide (CO[suB]2[/suB]) 0.038

Neon (Ne) 0.00182

Helium (He) 0.000524

Methane (CH[suB]4[/suB]) 0.00015

Hydrogen (H[suB]2[/suB]) 0.00005

So you will pay extra for only 15-20% more N2? And the only benefit is the inside of the wheel is cleaner? All they are doing is filtering O2/CO2 to boost the N2 content by volume. They don't make N2 as it is an element, not a compound. An element cannot be synthetically made as an element isin it'spurist form.

Just as an O2 machine doesn't make O2, it filters out N2 and the other gases to boost the O2 %.

OK...off my soapbox:byebye:
[/align]

·
1,211 Posts
imported post

I will add this to my previous utterings, unless there is some way of removing, by purging or evacuation, the 14.7 psi of air that exists in a tire even when to us, it is empty, you areNOT running "PURE" Nitrogen.

I personally have never seen a wheel with 2 valves, a necessity if the purge option is used, I also don't know of a tire inflation manifold, which would be necessary to evacuate the tire down to the 29.92 inches of mercury which is about as close to 0 psi absolute that modern science can get, and anyway if you whereto evacuate a tire to that pressue it would most likely break the bead seal.

"PURE" Nitrogen is really not an option for anyone, there's always gonna be some air, in it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Very good point, without purging the tire by placing it in a 100% nitrogen chamber and then inflating it to 2.9 atmospheres with nitrogen there's no way to fill the tire with pure nitrogen. If you let all the air out of the tire through the tire valve the tire will contain one atmosphere of air meaning that about 20.9% of the contents of the tire is oxygen. When you inflate the tire to 43psi or approximately 2.9 atmosphereswith pure nitrogen there would be about7% oxygen remaining in the tire. So the changein the tire content would be from 78% nitrogen with air to 93% nitrogen with pure nitrogen inflation. Less oxygen but certainly not pure nitrogen in the tire. My mental gymnastics concerning the actual values may be a bit off but do illusratethe fact that chilidawg brought up. Ibelieve he meant bringing a tire's pressure down to 0 inches of mercury since 29.92" isaverage sea level pressure. Now if one was to inflate the tire at the summit of Mt. Everest the oxygen content of the inflated tire would be considerably lower.

·
1,211 Posts
imported post

Sir, with all due respect, your mental gymnasticts are only a little off, atmospheric pressure is 1 atmosphere or 14.7 psia, shown on a guage as 0 psig, "g" being for guage, because it takes into account the pressure that is always around us and we do not notice, if you were to calculate the amount of square inches of surface area on the average human body, you would find out that there is around 5 tons of pressure acting on every one of us, why do we not notice it? Because we are built to take it.

In other words, 0 psig is actually 14.7 psia, "a" being for absolute, in another measurement, 0 psia is 30 inches of Mercury, the lowest pressure anywhere in the Universe, (who knows,black holes may have it)a totally impossible pressure due to the fact that you wouldneed to have a pump with a suction pressure of less than O psia to achieve it.

This I think, explains my point about "PURE" Nitrogen, relatively.

If you could find such a pump and reduce the pressure to 0 psia or 30" hg, then you would immediately be awarded the Nobel peace prize for science and wouldn't that be nice!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.