Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

It is better to use 8' long 2*6. As soon as you get car wheel on board take a look to make sure board didn't move on rim or have assistant to watch it. Go slow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

hey newbiker.....you might have something there!!.....use dishsoap on the beads too...i just did my last home mount job...and swore to never bother again......took me 3 hrs to break a bead...tried everything but was gluuued on.....never had sooo much bitchin over a tire....finnally put it on the bandsaw and devided and concurred!....took another hour to detail the rim back nice....i learned my lesson this time!!...tryin to save a few bucks....not worth the 20 bucks or my rotator cupps....ha!!...good luck..

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I spent more than one hour breaking bead beforeand feltlike an idiot. This way it takes a second. Interesting that bead was broken all around wheel, so you need to drive only two times.

I removed axle. If TT frame is made of 2*4 or 2*6 you will not need to remove axle probably.

I made TT frame of 2*3 just because I found it on my yard and it was piece long enough to cut in 3 pieces.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Here is another way of breaking bead (30 min job). Cut tires with carpenter knife leaving just about .5-1 inch attached to rim. It is part of tire wich has steel wires. Cut wires one by one with cutters. Use flat screwdriver and hammer to separate wires.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

The hardest part of replacing tires on the bike for me was always breaking the bead. I finally learned to do it the easy way. I take a one foot piece of wood and a ten foot or so 2/4. I put one end of the 2x4 under something and the one foot piece of wood from the 2x4 to the edge of the tire next to the rim. Then I push down on the other end of the 2x4. Pushes the bead right off. I put two small pieces of wood under the tire to protect the brake rotors though...:cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You can also do it by jacking up one wheel of your car, put the bikewheel just under the tire with a piece of two by four on the bike wheel and ease the car down. That way you can watch what you're doing so you don't crimp the rim. I use a bench vise with a couple pieces of 1X4 board which does a pretty good job. In years past I've been known to slip a split rim truck tire under the edge of a bulldozer blade and then let the blade down a bit. Does the job quite well.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Variation on a theme, we use a Jack-All withe foot snug to the rim and the lifting part under the rear bumper of the truck. You usually have to stand on the tire to stop it tilting. Old carpet under the wheel protects the finish.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I've heard of using a couple of large "C" clamps to squeeze the bead off the rim. Haven't tried it myself.

John

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

A couple of good size C-claps can work also. About 4-6 inches apart from each other, and just keep squeezing one at time. If the bead does not break, just keep moving around the tire.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
imported post

We used to run over tires like that all the time with a car to break the bead. Works, but be careful not to damage the rim.:D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No matter how you do it, be careful of the brake rotors, it doesn't take much to put a warp in them.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Exavid!....why didnt i think of that....jack the bloody car up and downnnnn on the bead....i used a large c clamp and that was just slipping around in the gooo....almost had a mental breakdown with this very old... stuck for life.. front elite 2 and was so pissed i almost got the chainsaw out.....a carpet knife huh!!.....mmmm....that might work good too... but you could cutyour arm off if you slipped....just my luck:D

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

In uk if you take your wheel into a tyre shop they will usually break the bead for free might have to slip the monkey a drink though you can do them in a large vise i just fitted a rear on a XJ600 using my bench vise, wing wheel would not fit in it though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.