Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I scored good today. I ordered my new Yoko yesterday for my 1800, with the understanding they they would not mount it for me........ No problem, I have a guy who does it but then the pucker factor kicked in......... $30 for the mount, $8 for the balance and when they are done I have to inspect to make sure it was done right. In the past they have, Mounted the wrong tires if I have taken 2 in at a time, one from the 1200 and one from the Shadow. They have mounted them in the wrong rotation and never have they ever Balanced a tire, if they did, then My old weights were exactly what the new tire needed and they were placed in the exact spot as before, Which could be since they never lined the dot up to the valve stem......... Then I always have to recheck Air Pressure.

So after ordering my tire yesterday I was sitting here last night wondering if by chance someone would have a tire changer for sale cheap On Criags List. Sure enough! For $30 I got this.

The long bar for removing the tire and reinstalling on the rim I had made up about a year ago but never used it. I will now!! I'm just going to mount it to a short pole and clamp the short pole in the vice to see if that will work, if not I will mount iy to a small frame I can bolt to the garage floor temporarily.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Wow. I get charged $17.50 out the door mounted and balanced by a local shop here with a fantastic reputation.
Enjoy the new tool and the ability to do it yourself! And all your friends...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Enjoy the new tool and the ability to do it yourself! And all your friends...

Im an a$$hole, have no friends. :?

(Don't ya'll start looking for the like Button...........)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
OK. No emoticons...
You get the idea.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!:readit::ROFL::raspberry::waving:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because I only had the Motorcycle changer part, I needed a stand of some sort to put it on so I went to Lowes to see what I could concoct.
1 1/4" x 36"Galvanized Pipe .......... $21.97

1 1/4" Screw in Base .................... $11.97

1" x 6' square tubing (steel) .......... $21.97

Now I have to cut, weld and still don't think the 1" square stock would be enough after drilling through it to mount it to the floor.

So I went to Harbor freight..........

The bottom part, car tire changer was on sale for $42.99...........

What was I thinking???? Plus this comes with the bead breaker and bar.............

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts

:wtf:Friends cost big bucks. BTW , I'm still waiting for the check in the mail for the Unralley friendship:raspberry::ROFL:.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:wtf:Friends cost big bucks. BTW , I'm still waiting for the check in the mail for the Unralley friendship:raspberry::ROFL:.
You didn't get that check yet?

I'll get another one out just like the first one.................

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the tire changer that you show on the bottom. It did well on my quads and dirt bike. I heard mounting the Goldwing tire is very difficult. The side walls and bead are stiff and can't get on the rim easy. Have you mounted a tire yet? I have tire spoons that made the dirt bike tire easy, but heard I won't have luck on a Goldwing tire.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am going to try on my next set. Not sure if Dyna beads or how to balance yet. New guy here. Dirt bikes and quads don't need balancing, so I have to learn street stuff yet.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
It cost me $40 the other day to mount my Yokohama ct on the 1800 rim at a bike shop. They did balance it - new weights. But it took three guys to figure out how to get the tire on the rim. The $40 included disposal of the old tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.