Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

tire changing went alot smoother than previous 3 changes.things that made it easier was help from forum,no-mar demount bar,3 no-mar spoons,the yellow thing,tire lube,wood blocks and we also got our tire changer rebuilt to accept no-mar tire clamps.bytheway tire didnt need any added weight.thanks again for help with dot.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Tire changing is a job I hate, I always end up breaking or marking something. Nowadays I limit myself to taking the wheel out and bringing it to one of my GWRRA buddies who has a tire changer.
Kudos to you for doing it all yourself.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

I took a roofing nail to the rear tire at the jobsite. It still holds air but is a bit scary. i need to change the tire soon now. Brand new rear tire too.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Plug the tire and run it until it is worn out.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Double R if you need to change the tire and you don't have the tools that don't scratch your wheels,we bought some feed pans for our horses that were made of rubber,the top has a lip around it ,we cut strips from that and made better rim protecters than the hard plastic ones we bought.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I would remove the tire and put a patch in the inside of the tire...But that me...everyone should there own thing...

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

the donlop site recomends plug and patch.My flat on a e3 donlop was beyond repair having a 1 and a half inch cut clear through and a roofing tack.My luck with short cuts isn't very good,kinda glad i didn't have a choice.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Double R wrote:
I took a roofing nail to the rear tire at the jobsite. It still holds air but is a bit scary. i need to change the tire soon now. Brand new rear tire too.

I had a similar experience and went with a 'radial patch' and rode that tire out to the wear bars.

Here'sthe post showingthe type of plug/patchwas used - http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=409323

and my experience with it - ttp://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=736895

Bottom line - if I had a nearly new tire with lots of miles left on it and the puncture (not a rip/tear) was in the centre of the tread and the inside carcase of the tire was still in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing again. YMMV

Dusty

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I picked op a screw in the center of the rear tire. Like Double R I didn't know if I should throw away a almost new tire or make repairs. I decided to plug the tire. Glad I did because I am still riding on it today and 6K miles later. It is whatever you think is best for you. I wouldn't try repairing a tire that was damaged in the side of the tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.