Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We have a nice warm day here before the sleet and freezing rain come tomorrow night, so I was trying to change a tire for the first time. I got as far as getting the bead to break on one side with a c-clamp, but I can't get the other side to break free. Now the tire just compresses when I tighten the c-clamp, and I don't want to put the clamp directly on the wheel for fear of denting or bending the wheel with the force I am applying to the c-clamp. How do I do this? It looked easy on u-tube!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I take a flat board and lay it on the down side of the rim (rotors removed). Then I take the leg of a picnic table and set the leg where I want to break the bead.

Jump down on the seat with your butt and it's all over.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

If you have a hydralic jack, you can put a board under wheel, jack on top of bead (close but not touching the wheel). now is tricky part, you need to put the jack tire and all, under something like a truck bumper. Then as you pump the jack it will jack down and break bead. Hope that is not too confusing. :)

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I always put 2x6 under the rim to pertect it and then use about a 4' 2x6 on the top next to the rim and drive the truck up on the 4' footer- and it's OFF :)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the ideas, I got it! Now if I can just find my valve core remover maybe I can get the new tire to seat.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

handyman jack and a car or pickup bumper it will break

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.