Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I will be ordering my new tire this week. There is some cupping on my Shinko tire right now. It has roughly 8K on it. Making a 500 mile round trip(98% highway) this weekend. Tire wont be here before then. Safe? Not safe? Thoughts and opinions? The only thing I notice is that some hard leaning, there is a little bit of tire noise. Supposed to be sunny and hot this weekend. Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
64,600 Posts
imported post

I ran it to a cupping problem with a new pilot rear.. On my 2400 mile trip 2 up it went from smooth to cupped.. Now it howls like a banshee.. I've no more than 4k on the tire..
I'll go back to a Stone on the rear next time around..
By the way I maintain 42# pressure at all times and haven't noticed any riding change.. But I haven't put any real pressure on the rear yet.................

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Yo Foodman,

This is a Pilot GT tire you have on the rear?

How many total miles on the tire?

Sorry to hear that.

Just curious as this is the first I have heard of the Michelin's failing so fast. and on the rear too.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

I have been told that as long as your tire isn't down to the wear bars you should be alright on shorter trips. You will get some road noise from it, and it could produce some shaking in the steering, in which case you might want to replace it.

I have some cupping on my Elite 3 front after a long trip of 3500 miles. Ran from Estes Park, CO home to Jacksonville at speeds of 60 to 75 mph without a problem. Should note that I am not a very aggressive rider. This tire has 25000 miles on it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Hey Foodman,
Sell that pilot to me cheap and get that Stone much faster. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Its not to the wear bars, and no shaking at all. In fact I can take my hands off the grips for as long as I want with no shaking at all. There is a 1/2 mile stretch while my trip to work that has almost zero traffic and straight. I am almost to work at this time. I slalom back and forth between the painted stripes just to make the trip a little longer :) and thats when the noise is noticable. Thanks guys and gals...

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I noticed my e3 has begun to cup about a month ago. In fact the only noticeable difference was appearance. the tire is approaching 17k and it looks new. Probably replace it next spring with a pilot gt.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

I have cupping on my rear elite II, plenty of tread left, drives fine strait or curves, I understand that rear cupping is not all that unusual?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I am curious. My tires do not have a recommended air pressure on them. Well, I can't decipher it if it were. I read above that 42# is ok. what should a GW tire be inflated to?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Conley wrote:
I am curious. My tires do not have a recommended air pressure on them. Well, I can't decipher it if it were. I read above that 42# is ok. what should a GW tire be inflated to?
:waving:Whatever is recommended by the tire manufacturer is what the tires should be inflated to. I have Avon Venoms on my '83 Interstate and the recommended tire pressure for these tires is 40 PSI front and 44 PSI rear and that's the pressure I keep them at. Don't go by what's in the owners manual on these older GoldWings go by what is recommended by themanufacturer of the brand of tire that you have on your bike.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
Conley wrote:
:waving:Whatever is recommended by the tire manufacturer is what the tires should be inflated to. I have Avon Venoms on my '83 Interstate and the recommended tire pressure for these tires is 40 PSI front and 44 PSI rear and that's the pressure I keep them at. Don't go by what's in the owners manual on these older GoldWings go by what is recommended by themanufacturer of the brand of tire that you have on your bike.
They are Metzler ME880 tires. Looks like 40-44 from what I gathered. Anyone running Me880s here?

·
Premium Member
64,600 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
Yo Foodman,

This is a Pilot GT tire you have on the rear?

How many total miles on the tire?

Sorry to hear that.

Just curious as this is the first I have heard of the Michelin's failing so fast. and on the rear too.

Good Luck

Mohawk
Mohawk

I put the tire on before my trip.. Put 1772 miles to seat it and went 2385 miles on my trip.. the total is 4157 miles...

The tire has been noisy from day one and has gotten worse..

The 2385 trip was 2 up with 2 soft bags.. Spent most of the time in the 60 to 75 mph range.. Also according to the code on the tire it was 2 years and about a month old when I got it............:?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Conley wrote:
They are Metzler ME880 tires. Looks like 40-44 from what I gathered. Anyone running Me880s here?
I have an 880 on the rear. Got a free install from the Victory dealer if you bought the tire from them (over winter). The older Victory Touring Cruiser (V92TC) takes the same rear as the GW.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll just pray over it and ride away. I'll get the new one installednext week some time. Local GW shop said 25 bucks if I bring them the front wheel, sounds good enough to me.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

I ran a set of ME880s . I was real happy with them wet or dry . On hot summer days they would sing a bit on extra smooth pavement . All was well till I had a nail in the rear . They had a touch over 10k miles . Ran it with a plug till the new Avons came in . When I removed them , I found in the bottom of the lugs on the rear tire it seemed there was some seperating begining .

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Hey Mohawk, I just noticed your avatar- were you parked at Hoss's in Long Lake Wednesday?

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
I noticed my e3 has begun to cup about a month ago. In fact the only noticeable difference was appearance. the tire is approaching 17k and it looks new. Probably replace it next spring with a pilot gt.
WOW,

The dunlop gave him 17,000 miles &still looks new,

and he is going back with a different brand:gunhead::?:?:?

The tire cupping is most likely not the tires fault.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.