Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you fabulous Goldwing 1500 riders know how to stop a radial tire on my 1997 white wing from cupping?
I have a new radial Dunlop E4 on the front, but am now replacing a cupped shinco on the rear with lots of miles left on it!
Any thoughts or experience on cupping, tire pressure etc. Would be appreciated.
Btw have new daul air shocks (racetec) on rear of bike as well??

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just assure you run proper air,I usually run 5 psi more than is recommended

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, have read some on the dynabeads, lots of people seem to swear by them?
Gonna order right now!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you think the higher the better, as I usually run them at 41 cold?
Still wondering if the suspension psi has anything to do with the cupping issue?
Will try running 44 psi
They are radials being run on a bias platform bike, seems Honda doesn't even recommend radials on a "97"?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Others have more knowledge/experience than I have, , , but if you're gonna continue running a Shinco rear, I think you'll be pleased with the results of max pressure (from mfgr) and balance beads.

The new suspension could be contributing to the cupping, , but the tire pressure and balance beads will be the most effective solution to cupping. The bike could "handle" better with a stiffer suspension if that's an issue for you, , , wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
I think the 1500 was designed with bias ply tires . I think because radial motosikle tires were not here yet.
I ran at least 2 sets of radials on my 1500 before I purchased the 1800. I think I was using dunnie elite radial on the front at 42psi and run flat ct on the rear at 38 cold. no problems. I kept my progressive air shocks at about 50psi one or two up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Avoid hard braking whenever possible. Braking causes the tire to grab and wear in one direction. When braking is applied to the front tire, the load transfer over-flexes the tire and increases the tendency for cupping and uneven wear. Maintain your tire pressures. Under inflation and overloading of motorcycle tires are significant causes of cupping and uneven wear, particularly in association with hard braking and/or trailer use.
https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/faq/#faq-4

Also,

when I started using a rear tire on the front on my valkyrie, it went 26k miles to the wear bars and I had very little cupping.

·
Administrator
58,756 Posts
I think the 1500 was designed with bias ply tires . I think because radial motosikle tires were not here yet.
I ran at least 2 sets of radials on my 1500 before I purchased the 1800. I think I was using dunnie elite radial on the front at 42psi and run flat ct on the rear at 38 cold. no problems. I kept my progressive air shocks at about 50psi one or two up.

the bike has no sense of radial or bias ply, all it wants is something round that sticks to the road. :|

·
Registered
322 Posts
the bike has no sense of radial or bias ply, all it wants is something round that sticks to the road. :|
I have to disagree a little bit, the tire is an important part of the suspension, and sidewall flex, weight, and heat dissipation are just a couple parts of that equation, but can differ between bias ply and radial tires significantly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts