Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

Just brought home my "new to me" 1998 Aspencade with 7,950 miles on it!

The front tire appears to be original as it has a three digit date code so I intend on ordering a replacement tonight. My question is the rear. The stamped code reads "MI3307". Can I assume the reads, the "33rd week of 2007"? That outs it at 5 years and while thats borderline old, I may run it since it has no dry rot and barely looks worn.

What do you guys think?

Craig

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
imported post

This is like an oil question, many opinions will arise. It looks great, but it may also be hard and a lot depends on how it was stored. If it were me, I might run it a little while I await a new one, but I would not place 100% confidence in it. It might be fine for 5 more years, it might separate tomorrow.
Also, You might recheck - I am not used to seeing letters in the date code box after the year 2000.
I wwould play it safe and get a pair.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

You need to change it it is not safe !!!!!!! Do some research on old tyres. They will delaminates at worse or last no time at all. I got a tyre that was 8 years old as it was cheap very cheap. So a bargain I thought. I was lucky it lasted about 1500 miles. Truly do do not use the tyre you are risking it all for sake of a set of tyres The tyres are too old and the rubber properties change and DO NOT PERFORM.

I no i have been blunt but it is that serious

Andy

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You guys are right, whats $150 in the big scheme of things? I ruined ride would be worth it alone not to mention my skin!

OK I'm ordering new rubber tonight!

Craig

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the front tire on my 95 wing. The date code on the one i to off is 2000 which means it is 12 years old. I hated to replace it as it looks like it has 60% tread left. Was getting ready to take a 3 hour one trip so decided to replace it.

Picked up a Bridgestone Exdera Max for $114 delived to my door in 2 days. from
bikebandit.com

My Rear is 165/75/16 CT that i picked up earlier this year somewhere for $105 delivered

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Just ordered a set of Bridgestone G701 and G702. Chaparral....$253 delivered!

Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.