Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched it and am still not sure:

My Dunlop rear tire, same model as listed in the manual as stock for my '98 SE, reads "DOT DA 42 M13327"

How old is it? The bike has 9k miles at this time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
date code

you should be looking for a molded in block with 4 numbers
something like 1210 etc which would mean that this tire was made 12th week of 2010.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "M13327" is what's stamped in what has to be the date mark (the only other stamped number is the tire's ID)...and I still don't know how to translate it. I'm wondering if it might be the 32nd week of 1997? The bike is a '98.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
The date code is a 4 digit number in its own little box. It might not be on both sides of the tire as it is only required to be on one side so check both. You will find it very close to the tire bead. As stated, a 4-digit for week/year. 1012 is 10th week of 2012, etc.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
The "M13327" is what's stamped in what has to be the date mark (the only other stamped number is the tire's ID)...and I still don't know how to translate it. I'm wondering if it might be the 32nd week of 1997? The bike is a '98.
That is not the date code.

Did you read the link?

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before 2000 the date codes were only 3 numbers, and that's why I'm wondering if it's a 1997 tire. The numbers as stated in my previous post IS the date stamp, there's no doubt of that.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
It would have to be only 3 numbers in the raised box separate from the other numbers as the picture shows you in that link.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks fellas. There seems to be no way to figure this out for sure, nothing else is stamped into the tire except what I've listed here, so even though the tire looks fine and the tread is good...I'll order a new one. Can't take a chance and I plan on doing some hot weather riding this summer far from home. I'll buy a Kenda 673 Kruz to match the one I recently installed on the front and I see Amazon has them at a great price - $105 with free shipping.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Good idea to just replace the tire if unsure of the age.

Just a thought. Is it possible that bike was over seas and a PO installed a tire NOT from the U.S.? Tires sold in the U.S. are date stamped and have been since the early 80's or before. 3 digit number prior to 2000, 4 digit number year 2000 or later.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why dont you take some pictures of the tire, both sides and post them
I've orderd a new tire so when I take the wheel off I may photo it and post the pic. Maybe someone else can benifit from the info...and maybe someone here will be able to translate the date code.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I did Stu, but there are lots more than just the 4 characters {M13327}...the last 3 being 327. Tires from 2000 and newr use the last 4 of whatever is in the box, before 2000 they use the last 3 and the decade can be anyone's guess...presumably because they never expected tires to be in use after 10 years of age. When I started this thread I listed the characters in the box, and there are no other stamped boxes on the tire except for the individual tire ID number. Looking at the tire I recently installed on the front I see the date stamp and it only contains the 4 digits {1312}, so I do know I'm looking at the right thing. Thanks for your suggestions, they are appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.